Antenna routing/position?

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Antenna routing/position?

Postby Jonathan Wood » Sun May 28, 2006 2:04 am

Hello all,

This is my first post on EC12.org.

I just purchased an ec12 (Ozmun hull #340), and I have a few questions reguarding the RX antenna placment. On my boat the antenna coming from the reciever is just laying in the hull... is this the normal setup? It seems that this would limit range. Does anyone run it out and up the side of the mast, or up the backstay? That would seem to allow for a clearer signal to be recieved.

I have come from both a sailing background, and a R/C car/truck background, so I'm hoping to pick-up on the model yacht world fairly quick.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan Wood
Jonathan Wood

Postby The OZ » Sun May 28, 2006 9:38 am

I have used a soda straw, with the antenna inside this straw, taped under the deck with one of my EC12 with a JR radio system, worked fine for me. Dick Reinke
The OZ

Postby Rick West » Sun May 28, 2006 11:32 am

Jonathan,
Various means have been used along the same line, installing the antenna inside the boat under the decking. This works well for receivers mounted under the deck and away from the inevitable water in the bilge. I have not seen but a few antennas exterior to the deck in the rigging. The reason mainly is to keep aerodynamic drag low.

Here on the forum a question can be searched (see the link above on the right) using the subject. Most often you can see many responses to what one is looking for. The other resourse is the Building Site at www.ec12.info. Specifically, in the Electronics and Molded Deck sections. The site is generic and not the last word in building.

Recent building here has been to attach the receiver by velcro to a structure under the deck at around station 29. This keeps it from the water and the antenna is routed toward the bow in a tube attached to the bottom of the deck. Radio reception is good enough for sailing distances within reason of vision.

Your book will be along shortly and while it is dated, it is an excellent building reference.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Electronics