Digital Servos

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Digital Servos

Postby skip241 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Do digital servos use more battery power than normal servos? Thanks. Skip, Atlanta
skip241

Postby tag1945 » Sun May 21, 2006 3:05 pm

tag1945

Postby bogordoug » Mon May 22, 2006 10:39 am

These has been a discussion on this topic in either Windpower or the IOM web page. Short answer....yes.... and people who are using Lithium batteries are upgrading the wiring gauge and some are adding fuses. Someone also mentioned using a voltage regulator on the circuit to the receiver to get the voltage down below 7.4 with Lithium batteries.

Doug Hale

PS. (an afterthought edit) I only included the Lithium stuff because it was mentioned, not that it pertained to your issues. Several years ago I used a Futaba digital servo for my twicher. Two things happened: it never stopped twiching, and it drained my batteries. The twicher servo is ususally under load and a digital servo will be draining energy just to maintain position (and much more frequently than an analog servo will)
bogordoug

Postby Winston » Mon May 22, 2006 2:07 pm

Skip

Your question now explains why you needed 3 sets of batteries for one day of sailing at the Triangle MYC regatta. My experience with a digital arm winch (like the ones used in IOMs) was that my 36 wouldn't last but 2.5 hours without going flat. They suck power. I don't intend to use them if they don't fix this problem.

Winston
Winston

Postby s vernon » Mon May 22, 2006 4:15 pm

So it might be a good idea to only use a digital servo on the rudder, eh? I do that only because it is the only servo that I upgraded after Stater told me how great it is in heavy wind. Futaba S9351 rudder servo, Tower TS70 (which is same as Hitec 100 inoz servo that many people use but a few bucks cheaper) for jib trim. RMG 280. 6V 2100 NiMH ebay batteries charged up to about 7.4 volts to start the day and never shut off til lunch then replaced or recharged. No problems. Knock wood.

A digital voltmeter with a deans soldered onto the leads is a comforting instrument to have. I never have to start the day wondering what the boat voltage is.

Also a Hobbico DC (Quick Field Mk II which is not the best I am sure but works for me) charger and lawn tractor or mc battery is handy.

Scott
s vernon

Postby jack wubbe » Wed May 24, 2006 8:46 pm

I dont think the digital servo is the problem. I have used 2 HItec digital servos ( rudder and jib trim both #HS-5645-MG, hi torque 168 in-oz) for about a year with no problem with battery discharge. My under deck batteries are 1400 6 volt Nicd packs and will last about 3 to 4 hrs.
jack wubbe

Return to Electronics