DPDT Switch Conversion

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

DPDT Switch Conversion

Postby lmazoway » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:17 pm

I purchased a water proof switch from GBMY. It has 3 poles, I'll call A, B, C.
In referencing the wiring diagram at( http://www.ec12.info/images/rmg_dr2.gif) it lists a DPDT switch with 6 poles. For discussion I'll label them:
#1 top left - Red to RMG winch
#2 top right - Red to Receiver
#3 Center left - Red to Battery
#4 Center Right - Jumper to #3
#5 Lower left - not used
#6 Lower Right - not used

Question (finally) - Can I pigtail the red wires going to #1 and #2 together and connect to my Pole A? Can I connect the #3 to my Pole B? Seems like it should work but I'm no electronic wiz.

Thanks,
Larry
York, Maine
lmazoway

Postby Rick West » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 pm

Larry,
Please wire the DPDT switch as shown in the left diagram on the building site. You do not want to pigtail any of the red wires except at the center posts. The receiver and the winch should draw positive power from the battery along their own circuits. The reason is the power monitoring processor in the winch. If not wired like this the winch could shutdown all servos.

Background reading is the two articles in the articles sections called Phantom of the Bilge. You want to avoid the Phantom in competition.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Rob Guyatt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi Larry, Rick and all,
The wiring diagram http://www.ec12.info/images/rmg_dr2.gif shows a single battery operation and in this case there is no difference between using a double pole switch as shown and a single pole switch as Larry wishes to use. You can common #1+#2 together and #3+#4.

It's a different story if using the two battery pack setup as per http://www.ec12.info/images/rmg_dr4.gif In this case the double pole switch or even another switch altogether must be used.

Rick's "Phantom" article is a good example of what can happen if more than one servo is used with the winch and the std connections wiring method. What happens is that regardless of how good the battery pack or wiring to the winch is, once the current draw through the voltage regulator goes to 1 Amp, that will hold constant as more power is required but the voltage will drop. If the voltage drop goes to below what the receiver and servos need, then, well, they won't work.

Reading "The Phantom Of The Bilge" shows me I should look at the arrangement of the booklet. Rick does state that all the info is there but Rick's experience shows me it could be better organised so I've put that on the "to-do" list. (Anybody know where a bloke can get some cheap "roundtoits")

Cheers

Rob
Rob Guyatt

Postby Frandito » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:20 am

Where is the "phantom of the bilde" article that you reference
thanks

frandito
Frandito

Postby Doug Wotring » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:21 am

Doug Wotring

Return to Electronics