Auto-tack

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Auto-tack

Postby Carl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:50 pm

On page 144 of "The Manual for the EC-12m"
there is an electrical circuit that eases the sheets after a tack.
Has any one tried the circuit on a Futaba skysport?
If so how much of a turn would you get on a RMG winch?

Or - on a tack how much(degrees) do you ease the sheet to gain speed?

I need all the help I can get to keep up with the younger sailors.

Carl[:)]
Carl

Postby kahle67 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:00 pm

Carl,

Don't get too technical, keep it simple. First of all, when the wind is up and the 12 is cruising along, it looses very little speed in a tack unless you really get on the rudder. In most cases you don't even have to worry about easing off. When it is a little lighter but you are still making wake, I ease just enough so as not to sheet vang. The booms hardly move but the main twists off a little for better acceleration. When it is real light, letting the sheets go about a half an inch seems to work. Of course these amounts are always relative to the boats around you and their speed and height.

Signed,

Another younger sailor
kahle67

Postby PegLeg » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Carl
Absent the electrical circuit; the easy (and cheap) way to accomplish easing of the sails when tacking is to use the trim lever of the main control stick.

For purposes of explanation consider that you have done a great job of tuning such that the trim lever is in the center of its range while going up wind, "in the groove" with a moderate wind.

As Reichard said - not to worry about heavy air

For lighter conditions you should know the "backoff" amount of each click of the trim lever. In very light conditions you might slide the trim lever 4 clicks; for msdium light, 2 clicks etc. to ease the sheets during the tack.

When the tack is completed you just "click back" to where you were before changing. The actual number of clicks needed for each condition would have to be determined to suit your needs, sailing style and equipment sensitivity.

You should make sure of the characteristics of the RMG drum and where your tag line is on the drum. RMG has built at least 4 different drum configurations. Plain, Plain spiral, Step down spiral, and "Z" spirial. Each style will be different for a particular "click" point.

Good luck

<i><b>_/) _/)</b></i>[}:)]
PegLeg

Postby DBrawner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:15 am

Carl:
I have found that the best circuit is in your left thumb. It's easier for me to move the stick a little rather than use the button on my radio.

DB
DBrawner

Postby Carl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:21 pm

Thank you all for your information.
I will not try the electrical approach.

I did learn from the answers <u>more</u> about the sail settings after completing a tack which is also valuable.

[:)]Carl #1896[8D]
Carl

Return to Electronics