2.4 ghz radio system

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby The OZ » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:09 pm

Skip, I have the same results as Jack. Tested my radio system to at least one football field long including the back of the endzones. No problem. Only problem boat was so far out there was hard to see. Using velcro on receiver and under deck works fine for me.
The OZ

Postby skip241 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks for the idea. Under the deck will also probably keep it a little dryer if water get in somehow! Skip [:D]
skip241

Postby bigfoot55 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Skip- Too much body english. Have seen that problem locally, seems the trans antenna cannot be pointed at the boat, bend it at the link. Turn it off and back on and it will reestablish itself. Save hiking around the pond.
tp
bigfoot55

Postby Winston » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:20 pm

Reply to Jim Hale's inquiry re jib trim:

Today I added a "knob" controlled potentiometer to my newly acquired Specktrum DX6. This now controls the jib trim function. I believe this to be preferable to trying to run the jib trim with either of the two function sticks (sheet winch or rudder). You don't risk accidentally changing the jib trim while manipulating the stick.

Installation took 1 hour. 5K ohm pot can be purchased at Radio Shack. This setup will be available for inspection at the Naples, FL Regional Championship Regatta.

Winston Mathews
Winston

Postby bogordoug » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks Winston,

Please provide some pictures and part number's please.

Doug Hale
bogordoug

Postby greerdr » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Welcome back compadre.I am glad to see your are still amongst us.we early 2.4 accepters are the vanguard.See you @ Naples.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby jack wubbe » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:18 pm

It works and its easy. Just unsolder 3 tabs from the pot on the transmitter, attach wires to unsoldered terminal board and attach same to a "Radio Shack" 5K rotary pot and find a good spot to locate it. Mine is mounted to the lower left front, Winston,s is mounted on the top left.
jack wubbe

Postby Jim Linville » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:59 am

Winston/Jack: I live in Massachusetts so (with $3 per gallon gas) I will have a pretty hard time getting to the Region 3 Championships in Naples to see what you've done. Is there any chance you can give me a tiny bit more info on how you do it? I've made th same conversion to a number of standard four-cnannel FM transmitters and I'm planning to dig into my 2.4 gHz this evening, but I'm confused when Jack says "attach wires to unsoldered terminal board". What's this "unsoldered terminal board?? It seems different than what I've done in the past. Is there something I should know before voiding my warantee? --Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Postby Jim Hale » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:02 pm

Winston,
Thanks very much for your information, above. I assume that the new pot replaces the one used for either channel 2 or channel 4. The transmitter operation sounds similar to that of the Hitec Ranger III, which I used for a while. Personally, I found it distracting to remove my hand from the stick to move the jib-trim knob, especially since the knob did not have a tactile feature that you could feel without looking at. If I were to try this set-up again, I would attach a plastic button or a short rod to the knob, so that I could feel the jib setting without looking at the knob.
In the meantime, I am going to try Reichard's suggestion, as soon as "Glory" gets out of drydock.

Thanks again.
Jim Hale 1559
Jim Hale

Postby jack wubbe » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:21 pm

Jim, I,ll be going to NZ in Nov. if you can wait I,ll show you. Otherwise when you take the back off, the DX6 rotery pot's have 3 tabs that attach to a term. board. Unsolder the tabs and replace with wires on the term board which will be soldered to a 5K rotary pot from a elect. supply place. Place the new pot in a clear spot, drill hole in DX6 mount it and enjoy. Winston mounted his on the top left ( his pot. was smaller then mine),I mounted mine on the lower front (right thru the Spektrum name plate) and the trim feature still works.
jack wubbe

Postby Jim Linville » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:27 pm

Jack: I understand the electronics. I've done the same thing a number of times on other transmitters. Here's where I'm confused. Traditionally, I use the lefthand vertical stick for sheets and the righthand horizontal stick for rudder. My plan for the Spectrum is to use the lefthand horizontal stick for the jib twitcher. That leaves only the righthand vertical stick (4) for the jib trim. My problem is how to get to the pot that is controlled by the righthand vertical stick. The Spectrum seems to be a lot more complex than the Ace and Futaba transmitters I'm used to -- at least it has a lot more printed circuit boards for things to hide behind.

Do you know if the allen head screws on the front of the case (some of which seem to be fake) will release the joy stick assembly for access to the pot I think I need?

--Jim
Jim Linville

Postby jack wubbe » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Jim,I now understand your delema. I have taken the center ckt. board with the metal plate off with 4 screws and I think you can axcess the pot. that way. The antenna lead clips to this board. It also would be a good idea to get a spare antenna as 3 of our sailors have already broken them off.
jack wubbe

Postby Jim Linville » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Thanls, Jack, it seems to work beautifully. I'll try it out on the old pond this week-end. --Jim
Jim Linville

Postby Dave Mains » Mon May 01, 2006 5:24 pm

I just had my first sail with my new DX6. I would like to say that I am very pleased. One feature that I haven't seen talked about on this thread is the Throttle Curve. I set mine up to give me less sensativity at the close hauled end and it worked very well. I Also used the exponential rudder control. The only way I could program the throttle curve is in the HE mode. I assume that is normal. My EC12 is not a chopper even though it seems to want to hover at times, but using the HE mode doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Range was fine. We sail at a fair sized pond in Jax and I sent it to the far side without a problem.

All in all.....Very good!

Question...Why does every manufacturer have to use a different battery connector? This one even has reverse polarity on the charger plug compared to my other radios. Do they really think we won't buy another radio just because we would have to change the connector?

Dave

Dave
Orange Park, FL
Dave Mains

Postby greerdr » Tue May 02, 2006 2:39 pm

I go to Radio Shack and ask for the connectors off discarded portable phone batteries and solder these onto 8 pack battery holder loaded with rechargable Sanyo 2500 mah batteries .The charger issue;all JR/Spectrum have that reverse(perverse)polarity.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

PreviousNext

Return to Electronics