2.4 ghz radio system

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby philair » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:57 am

Now here's a radio to consider!

"http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2460"

Definitely the radio of the future.
philair

Postby bodacious » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:14 pm

It's already on my "wish list"...... this is what I've been waiting for! LOL
bodacious

Postby jrflorida » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:30 pm

When I looked at the Horizon Hobby's photo of the radio Phil is talking about it looked awfully familiar. When I went and got my JR XP652 that I have been using for a while, I found them nearly exactly the same down to the position of the rivits on the face. A quick email to Horizon Hobby confirmed it was built on the same "chassis", and works in the same way. That means you can have exponential control over your rudder, and with a bit of tweaking of some of the other controls, I am able to push my sail control lever to the right to ease the sails a controled amount and to the left to pinch a bit. It is quite a nice computer radio, but not a complicated as some. I have been given permission to order it as a Christmas present from my generous wife! [:D] Of course they have postponed its realease twice, but it definitly looks like an excellent buy during their special.
John
jrflorida

Postby jrflorida » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:28 pm

Some new information: I have cancelled my order to wait and see. I talked to a tech at Horizon Hobbies and he cautioned that this particular radio needs line of sight to the antenna,hence the "Park Flyer" designation. I said us toy boat guys don't necessarily know what that means. He said it is a short distance electric airplane made mostly of foam or something light that is mainly invisible to radio waves. He speculated that if both the antennas were somewhere the transmitter could always see them, it might work. He was skeptical of the location down in a fiberglass hull, but said it might work.

If you think about on the start line, and there might be several boats between you and your boat, it might be interesting. He said the units made for cars, what a couple of the guys are using I think, would be a more reliable way to go. He said also that a unit like this for boats is in the works, but no more info than that.

I hope someone gets one and trys it, but for the time being I am back on the sidelines. [:(]

John
jrflorida

Postby jack wubbe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:45 pm

I just sailed with my new 2.4ghz Spektrum (park flyer) radio pkg. and it worked like a charm. No glitchs, no channel hassel and lots of options on how to set it up. The reciever was mounted under the deck with 1 antenna fore n aft and the other antenna side to side. I sailed all over our very large pond with 7 other EC-12's and had no control problem. This, I think is the radio sys. we've been waiting for.
Jack
jack wubbe

Postby greerdr » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:30 am

What is probale max range on your pond?

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby jack wubbe » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:30 am

I sailed last Sunday testing the range and at 700 ft. I had complete control. I dont see a range problem at any venue we sail at.
jack wubbe

Postby s vernon » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:37 pm

http://www.users.bigpond.com/rmgsw/

Articles on the RMG web site talking about range and antennas.

Big discussion in the general forum of the www.iomclass.org web site as well. Apparently they sail IOMs way out there.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Carl » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:15 pm

This is a good site to read about the new spektrum radio.
http://www.legacyfamilytree.ca/sail/SpektrumDX6.html

It ahs been too cold to actually sail using it but on land the range is as far as one can visually sail a boat.

Carl
Carl

Postby bogordoug » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:02 pm

Check out the newist issue of Model Yachting. An indepth article on how to set up the Spektrum DX6

Doug Hale
bogordoug

Postby Jim Hale » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:02 pm

OK. So I've done all the research on the Spektrum DX6, headed out the door, checkbook in hand, when I realized: There doesn't seem to be an effective way to trim the jib. Channels 5 and 6 seem to be controlled by switches, not proportional knobs. Am I missing something, or does anyone know a work-around? Can the switch be replaced with a pot?

Jim Hale 1559
Jim Hale

Postby kahle67 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:57 pm

I use the same stick as the rudder (up and down). Remove the centering spring and add a metal friction spring instead. The normal sailing position is with the stick forward pulling it back for fine trim.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby Jim Hale » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks very much, Reichard. You have solved one more mystery.

Jim Hale
Jim Hale

Postby skip241 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:17 am

To anyone using the Spectrum DX6. I took my boat out to the lake this weekend with my new Spectrum radio installed. The receiver is low in the hull with both antennas extended. Sailed the boat with four other boats. The boat went maybe 50 yards out on the lake and all radio functions were lost. Good news was the boat was well balance and went all the way across the lake on a good beat! Are there any ideas on how I can improve the distance of the radio? Thanks. Skip [?]
skip241

Postby jack wubbe » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:27 am

Skip; My DX6 reciever is velcroed under the deck with the ant. hanging down in any direction and have had NO problems ever. Range is at least 700 ft.
jack wubbe

PreviousNext

Return to Electronics