Servo vs Sail Winch

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Servo vs Sail Winch

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:07 pm

I have the Hickman hull #247. I have built the Victoria and race in Yukon, OK. I am wondering on the EC if there is a sail servo that can be used in place of a sail winch (like Dumas probar/RMG...etc). The highest torque I have found on a servo is approx 284 sq in...
//
What do other skippers use for the Mast/boom/jib club?
//
I am trying to build it out but have limited funds..so if anyone has a spare winch or other items I need, please let me know what it is and how much it would take for you to part with it/them....
//
Thanks in advance and I am certain I will have other questions as the build progress's.
//
Steve Taylor

Steve
Steve

Postby bodacious » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:15 pm

Steve, You really need to "hit" the building site that Rick has put together. I read it over and over and then finally printed about half of it before I built my first boat. It made ALL the difference in the world! My boat came out on it's water line.. the rig was perfectly balanced.... and it was fast!! You'll get more info faster by going there first... then if you have a "problem" ..one of the gurus can help you out! Just trying to make your life easier...I too started with a Victoria! Doug B
bodacious

Postby philair » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:22 pm

Regarding servos vs. sail winches, some of our fellows use two(2) servos linked together, one for jib & one for the main. Actually a neat setup, but if you add rudder & jib trim, be sure you're on 6 volts & healthy batteries.
philair

Return to Electronics