JR FM radio/crystal problem

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

JR FM radio/crystal problem

Postby The OZ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:29 pm

New guy sailing EC12. My boat, which is a very beautiful boat, has a JR PROPO FM radio -F400EX. My problem is when I ordered a back up channel #87 it would not work. Took to hobby shop were purchased item, they tried, no luck, tired another new 87 crystal still would not work. They called a 'tech guy' who told them this type radio would only work on that one crystal (79) becasue it was not designed for boats or other crystals. Find this hard to beleive. Any suggestions? Boat sails wonderful on 79 but need the option of using other channels when needed at regattas. Thanks.
The OZ

Postby MichaelJ2K » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:23 pm

Oz,
Usually retuning would be required. The "tech guy" you talked to was probably the janitor....[:0], because he's totally wrong. BTW, are you changing the transmitter module or just the crystal? You can change a module but by FCC rule you must be a licensed technician to alter a transmitter RF output, i.e., installing a crystal and retuning. You can tune the receiver yourself. Best bet is to have a backup matched module and receiver you can change at a regatta. Futaba, JR and Hitec produce radios on "low" and "high" band. That splits the channels into two groups, lowering the cost of producing receivers. In essence, Joe is right, it should have worked.
MichaelJ2K

Return to Electronics