Futaba 6XAS Radio

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Futaba 6XAS Radio

Postby Walter A Milligan » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:16 pm

I went to the Futaba website today to get info about the 6XAS radio that was recommended in the "building" website (EC12.info)so that I could get the detail and then go purchase one. To my surprise, Futaba has discontinued that model (all 6X** models...I guess the site will need and update about this). The Futaba Service Center Tech suggested a model 6EAX or even the 7C. [:(] What should I do, relative to Futaba..??? (I have two other radios of theirs - I like the equipment).... Looking for suggestions here.....
Walter A Milligan

Postby s vernon » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:16 pm

I have seen 4 t6XAS 75 mhz radio systems on ebay in the past year or so. I bought one for about $120 inc shipping. My buddy bought a better one for less. I recommended one on this discussion group and noticed it was "buy it now"ed the next day for about $175. Might have been coincidence to my posting. I saw another one a couple months ago. So keep looking.

Not a lot of grd freq systems on ebay, but now and then they are there for a bargain price - failed battle bot/robot projects. But lots of them on 72 and 50. The 50's seem to go especially cheaply. There have been 2 in the last month as I remember. If you just have to have a 6xas, you can get the radio converted to 75 mhz by who? www.radiosouthrc.com futaba tower hobbies

Cost is what? $50 to $100?

Of course, for a bit over $100 total you probably can get a 7 or 8 channel with 72 mhz module on ebay. You can reasearch it on the "futaba manuals" site and find out which ones have modules. Then get the proper 75 mhz module from one of various sources. Radio South, maybe Tower. About $50. Of course that is not a 6xas (which really are outstanding radios), but it can be a fairly nice PCM computer radio. A lot of them are a bit old and beat up, tho.

If you or anyone cares, these are the radios that have modules:
7uap 7uaps 7uhfs 7uhf 7uhp 7uhps 8uap 8uaps 8uhf 8uhfs 8uhp 8uhps 7uaf 7uafs 8uaf 8uafs. You can cut and paste in the ebay search - "any of these items".

If you get a radio converted from 72 to 75 mhz you need to think about getting or converting a receiver as well.

You have to get creative searching for t6xas radios on ebay - search for whatever the seller might mistakenly call his radio. They are listed as 6xas and t6xas of course, but other names too sometimes. The best thing is to just search "Futaba" in a price range. That way you might find a 6xas that most people are going to miss "6txas" or whatever.

Scott
s vernon

Postby kahle67 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:49 am

Don't worry about the 6XAS. It was a nice unit and I have one myself but all you need is something like the Skysport 4 or 6 channel unit.
The 4 sells for about $115 and the 6 around $145. The only reason to consider the Skysport 6 is that it has a knob for controlling one of the channels which can be used for your jib trim. Having an FM Dual conversion system is the key.

Reichard
kahle67

Postby Skip Quinn » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi. Reichard is right. If you get the 4ch find someone who can modify ch 4 and use that for your jib trim. Good luck. Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby Skip Hall » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:42 pm

Mike Zellanack will modify the radio, He is doing mine that how I know who can do it. He is listed in the suppliers section.
Skip Hall

Postby s vernon » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:23 pm

s vernon

Postby Skip Quinn » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:14 am

Mike Z did my radio and it works beautiful. You can reach Mike at MZellanack@aol.com Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby Walter A Milligan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:01 pm

Does anybody know if a T6XAS radio on another channel, say ch45, be converted to ch75 (xmitter and recv)?.....Is it just a module that can be purchased and plugged in? Is it user installable?
Walter A Milligan

Postby PaulP » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:18 pm

I have a T6XAs in for conversion right now. It can be done by Radio South. (http://www.radiosouthrc.com/radio_repair.htm). Cost is approx. $50

It is not a DIY project as it takes special equipment and licensing to tune to the new 75Mhz frequency.

The T6XAs does not use a module, it uses a crystal. As such, the entire radio frequency deck must be changed out.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby s vernon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:12 pm

Irishwind,

You asked about receivers. This info is from a Futaba FAQ web page. To read the whole page see the link in my previous post.

IF YOUR RADIO IS MODULAR, such as an 8U, 9C, or 9Z, then your system will work fine on ground by simply purchasing the ground module, TJ, on a ground frequency (FUTL18** with the last 2 digits being your desired ground channel) and then use it with a ground receiver.

If your radio is NOT MODULAR (uses a simple crystal to set its frequency and not a plug in frequency module in the back of the radio), then, alternatively we offer a flat rate service to change certain 72MHz air radios to ground to provide you, the modeler, more flexibility for your ground vehicle...

*NOTE: If your receiver is an R127DF or an R138DP the cost to convert to 75MHz is the figure shown above PLUS $44.95 to cover the cost of parts changes required in these receivers to make it function on the other band. For example, a 6X radio system sent for conversion would be $35 plus $44.95, or $79.95, to convert to ground. A R138DP alone would cost $64.95. For these 2 receivers, it is likely more logical and cost effective to purchase a new receiver on the proper band and sell the receiver you have or use it for a different purpose.

The R127DF is the Skysport receiver. The R138DP is the T6XAS receiver. The T6XAS radio can be used with the Skysport receiver if the T6xas is switched to PPM instead of PCM mode.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Ralph Merkle » Wed May 04, 2005 5:57 pm

I really didn't want to get involved in this discussion as many will disagree with me -- but----noticed in the first message that someone from Futaba's service center recomended either a 6EAX (should be 6EXA)or a 7c . These are for the 72 MHZ bands , aircraft only and even IF they can be converted this is a VERY expensive way to go , you don't need more than 3 channels and 2 is enough for most . Why anyone would want to buy a used TX/RX set much LESS pay more than $100 and then have them changed to a different channel is just beyond my grasp . I know as a flyer I wouldn't risk an aircraft with a radio with an unknown operation history . Control pots do get dirty with operation and time and that radio you just bought from Ebay might just be hours away from a major component failure . But what the heck , boats rarely "crash" . On the other hand it just might decide to die as you are leading the pack for home and we hear that old familiar cry "I AIN"T GOT IT" ! Is it worth it now ?? Theres an old saying "first wear is best wear" . Far and away the best buy out there is Hitec's Ranger 3 (3 channels) on FM available directly from Hitec ($80) or Tower Hobbies ($72.99) tho they don't have much of a channel selection . For your dollars you get a very nice TX with frequency of your choice (easy plug-ins) and a very compact single conversion RX , yes SINGLE conversion . I can hear the gasps and screams now . You don't really need dual conversion with the modern applications of filters nor do you need a system with the highly advertised "fail safe" mode which has probably been responsible for more aircraft augering in than pilot error . For those who don't know what "FAIL SAFE" is---if you have enabled the feature and the receiver detects interference it "locks up" your pre-programmed control positions and holds them in that position until it decides FOR you when after the interference has disappeared it will return control back to you . Meanwhile , when you might have prevented a collision when the noise went away you're left out of the loop . You also get a TX rigid flag with stick-um numbers and a pair of 49in/oz servos , the very common type . not suitable (perhaps !) for rudder drivers but OK for a twitcher . The TX also has servo reversing and ATV , simply a gain control for two channels . The 3rd channel has neither reversing or gain control . This TX is a "dry" one , will take (8) alkaline , Nicad or NiMh sets in individual cell holders . This has the advantage of being able to quickly swap out a battery set should they suddenly go south .Try that with a soldered in battery pack , sure you could have a connector but some don't . No battery charger is provided but Hitec does offer one . The TX has a built in standard recharging receptacle . Its pre-wired with the center pin tied to the positive side of the battery . If you have one , a JR battery charger is OK to use and has the proper mating connector but you MUST reverse the charging receptacle wiring as JR in their infinite wisdom , opposite to the thinking of the rest of the world , uses the center pin as the return (negative). Futable uses the same connector as JR but uses the center pin for the positive side . Of course you would only charge using Futaba or JR's charger if you installed Nicads The left stick has a stiff spring for centering as does the right . The spring is easily removable and a slice of 0.02 evergreen sheet plastic , inserted between the rotating drum and the fixed support then tack glued to the support with a bit of liquid plastic cement makes a very nice friction brake for the stick . Ralph Merkle 1673
Ralph Merkle

Postby Ralph Merkle » Thu May 05, 2005 9:29 am

Heres' something that should be said in defence of single conversion receivers PARTICULARILY for the 75 MHZ band . This is from FMA's web site for frequently asked questions . To quote---------- Is there a problem with single conversion receivers?

There is one situation where any single conversion receiver is open to interference that a dual conversion is not and that is at image frequency. JR and FMA have both had highly successful single conversion receivers for many years. Most car receivers have been single conversion over the years because the 75 MHz band is only 500 KHz wide; not enough to have the image frequency inside the band of interest. Since the 72 MHz band is 1 MHz wide, an improperly placed LO can permit image interference within the band. ( i.e., 455 KHz X 2= 910 MHz)------------------------unquote . Note that "boats" are not even mentioned as R/C for boats represents a very small part of RC modeling . Read on , there may be another problem on 75MHZ-----Image frequency was a real problem back in the early days of RC flying with single conversion receivers operating on 72 MHZ and getting "hit" was a daily occurance . It was soon discovered what the problem was but we had to live with it until the event of dual conversion receivers when this problem (2 X IF) went away . Note from above that this is a problem that just DOSEN'T exist with operation on the 75 MHZ band ! BUT----Another random problem then appeared out of no where on the 72 MHZ band (and which MAY be there for 75MHZ) , tho in reality it was there all the time but was buried in the 2 X IF problem . Originally the 2 X IF frequency was thought to cause ALL the interference problems and this seemingly brand new random interference was a mystery until not too long ago . This was determined to be caused by the Intermodulation and re-transmission of the right combination of TX frequencies operating physically just too close to each other and was found to be the problem and ---DUAL CONVERSION--- receivers could NOT solve this problem . The solution for RC flyers was to physically separate pilots at the flying field by at least 20 feet and this problem went away . Now what we don't know is whether this same problem can exist with the right combinations of TX frequencies on the 75MHZ band . If it can happen perhaps some have noticed some funny boat reactions while racing . With skippers practically standing on each others shoulders this should reproduce the problem as on 72MHZ. If it can happen surely someone would have noticed by now or maybe have blamed it on something else . Anyhow don't blame it on single conversion receivers . Ralph Merkle 1673
Ralph Merkle

Postby Jim Linville » Thu May 05, 2005 3:26 pm

Out pond is located in Needham, Msssachusetts (USA), and I gurantee that you CANNOT sail there without a dual conversion receiver. I have no idea why, but single conversion receivers cause the servos to glitch from the moment you turn them on intil you turn them off. Single conversion seems to work fine on other sites in the area.

The only thing I see that could be different is that we have a number of high power commercial TV and radio towers withing two miles of out site. I keep a couple of spare DC receivers in my van for visitors.

Jim Linville #958
Jim Linville

Postby Ralph Merkle » Thu May 05, 2005 5:14 pm

Jim Just talked to our local RF expert about your problem and it was his opinion that the interference problem was coming from one or both of your local towers , not exactly a surprise there . Signals from TV and radio towers can create all sorts of noise problems as they radiate , generally , for 360 degrees at kilowatts or megawatts and the only way to pin down exactly what it is would be to obtain a scanner and look at the channel of interest otherwise it would all be speculation . Without knowing what the frequency is we have no way of knowing why it interfers with the single and not the dual . Other unknowns are whose RX is it , how old etc as all single conversion RXs are not created equal . Several years ago a telephone relay tower was installed within a mile of our flying field . Soon afterwards a couple of mysterious crashes occurred without any obvious cause other than a complete loss of control . Our club borrowed a scanner from the other flying club in our area and found that two frequency channels we normally used were completely swamped . The immediate problem is that who makes a scanner to cover the 75MHZ band with the accuracy required ? After a series of checks over several weeks it turned out that this was not a consistant signal and was not always present , sometimes disappearing for hours at a time . The source was an Amature Radio League repeater installed on the tower . Our only solution was to stop all flying on those two channels . We haven't solved your problem . Maybe someone will jump in with a solution . Ralph 1673
Ralph Merkle

Postby Jim Linville » Sat May 07, 2005 3:57 pm

The glitching doesn't seem to happen on the 27 mHz band. We sorta figured that was because those big bad 27 mHz transmitters were much more powerful than those poor little 75 MHz guys and simply overpowered the stray signals. It effects all channels on the 75 mHz band. No big deal, most of the newer receivers are dual conversion anyway. --Jim
Jim Linville

Next

Return to Electronics