extension for on off switch on the system board

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

extension for on off switch on the system board

Postby rs vernon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:34 am

I like the removable system board, but switching on and off takes too much concentration - finding that little toggle switch on the board with my finger.

I shared this with a friend and he thinks it might be worth a try, so I will post it.

I slipped a 2 inch long piece of aluminum tube over the toggle of the switch. Now I can just wave my hand forward or aft inside the boat and turn the boat on or off. I pinched it a little, so it is a friction fit over the toggle. Make sure sheets cannot snag on it.

That fiberglass winch cover with the big plastic tab at the bottom. I needed to put a piece of scotch tape over the tab (taping it to the hull) to keep the jib sheet from hanging up under it. I put scotch pkg tape over the rough fiberglass as well. Not a fan of spectra rubbing on rough glass.

Scott
rs vernon

Re: extension for on off switch on the system board

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:56 am

Scott, I like this idea of a long switch, but I worry with my fat hands that I would snap it off with all that new leverage on it. You will have to let us know how well it works.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby rs vernon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Joe,

It has a great feel to it. There is no temptation to push it harder or further than it needs to be pushed. You will find that you push it until you hear the click and then you will stop pushing it. The top of the tube moves about an inch.

It is so effortless that you will not be tempted to break it.

My switch needed 5/32 O.D. tube.

Scott
rs vernon

Postby rs vernon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:41 pm

One thing that might turn people off and that will take some getting used to for me is that when I am working in the boat it is too easy to hit the new long switch toggle and inadvertently turn the boat on or off.

With the RMG, if I turn it on my mistake, I can immediately turn it off before it goes into setup mode. That is an Important consideration.

I can see myself removing the tube when I work on the inside of the boat. Not a big deal. Just remove it and tape it to the deck while I work inside the boat.

Since there is no noise signal when the switch gets turned off I will need to make sure that the boat is still turned on before I launch it.

So there is a downside.

Scott
rs vernon

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:13 pm

I tried it but without fastening the tube. It slipped down over the color sleeve and jams the action. After playing with the idea of something semi flexible, I decided that making me look for the switch causes me to pay attention to the inside of the boat.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Return to Electronics