How many ounce inches needed ?????

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

How many ounce inches needed ?????

Postby thorsail » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Hello---I am considering replacing the old-school probar winch in my EC-12, and want to do so with a servo city gear box
set up, there are many choices of servos and gear ratios available, so what would be a "safe" number of oz. in. to handle the sail plan ? I would appreciate any suggestions/comments. and- they have a 15% sale on now until 7-16, so.......
also-my main concern is with power, NOT speed-and NOT a RMG.

Allan
thorsail

Re: How many ounce inches needed ?????

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi Allan,

Most of the winches I have seen on Servo City have quite a high output torque. Like over 1000 In/oz. Plenty for the EC12 Sail plan. I am almost never putting this type of winch in an EC on purpose so if that gives you any indication. The RMG is just plain better with better control and speed. In short, its a huge improvement over an arm winch regardless of torque. The price on the RMG has come down due to the exchange rate with AUS. Just under $200.00 now I think.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:59 am

Allen,

I concur with Chuck concerning the RMG sail winch. If you plan on racing your EC12 and traveling you will find most skippers use the RMG. If you have problems while at a regatta there will always someone there who can help sort things out. The RMG is very reliable.
Tim
Vermont
"Just for Fun" #484
Tim

Postby greerdr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:31 pm

And many of us carry a spare in event of catastrophic failure-and you can replace it at the next regatta.
Plus Bob Guyant is a prince of a guy.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Fred Maurer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 am

I put an RMG winch in a boat 14 or 15 years ago and raced it hard up until three years ago when I sold the boat. It never failed me and is still working for the new owner. Bob makes a great product worth every penny. And he is a nice guy! I recommend the "Spiral" drum. And just for the record, my new boat has an RMG winch.
Fred Maurer

Return to Electronics