Turnigy Sail Winch Servo

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Turnigy Sail Winch Servo

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 am

Word in the field is that this servo has the power to pull a 4 x 4 out of a mud bog. Currently, several Marblehead sailors are using this winch and so far the comments are good. I was thinking of doing a refit on 899 at the end of the season and installing this winch. A computer radio is needed to set travel end points rather than doing it in the servo (RMG). And, the price can't be beat. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=42642

There is a similar size winch of lower power available for smaller boats but that one would not be suitable in a 12.

Here's an RCG thread on the subject. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2349617
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Re: Turnigy Sail Winch Servo

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:18 am

Mike,
99% of the skippers I race against use RMG including myself. I wouldn't dream of using anything else. It is main stream and bullet proof. If your at a regatta and have a problem someone your racing with will be able to help you.
Tim
Vermont
"Just for Fun" #484
Tim

Re: Turnigy Sail Winch Servo

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:27 pm

I hear you Tim and I wouldn't give up my RMG for anything. I was considering this idea as an R&D project to see how it would work. For years, I used a Whirlwind in my boat and had good results but eventually, it gave up and fell apart (literally). Yes, RMG is the top shelf winch but one should also be aware of what else is available. The ability to set winch travel end points in the transmitter is a very attractive feature that I would like to experiment with.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Return to Electronics