Battery Charging SNAFU

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Battery Charging SNAFU

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:59 am

I was charging Charging my Nicads last night at trickle charge rate on a duratrax intelapeak digital charger.

The conectors melted together.... so I got anothe rbattery and charger connector and it did the same thing.

Now I know I'm stupid for doing the same thing twice, and I know they melted due to a heat buildup from high resistance but why?

I have had this charger and these batteries for the entire season and follow the same procedures and have not had any problem.

Any ideas appreciated
Doug Wotring

Postby Ed Sidders » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:55 pm

I'm not familar with your charger but First guess----something is shorted in the output circut of your charger.Your charger may be working into a direct short instead of a battery load and regulating amprage into the short ckt. SHOWING a trickle charge When you plug your battery into the charger it sees a direct short and discharges as if the wires are tied together with the only resistance being the characteristic impedance of the nicad pack which is very low and will cause a high current discharge. Just a guess Good Luck Ed Sidders
Ed Sidders

Return to Electronics