Modding a DX%e for Jib Trim

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Modding a DX%e for Jib Trim

Postby Scudman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 pm

I have an old hitec Ranger 3 FM transmitter that I have been using for 7 years now. A couple of battery compartment
contacts have broken off so I am going to start using the DX5e Mode 2 that I use for my other 3 boats.
I took apart the Ranger and removed the Pot used for jib trim on my EC-12.

My question is: Can I just cut the wires going to the Elevator pot inside the DX5e and solder them to my old pot,
or is there an additional mod I need to do? The pot out of the Ranger looks to be a 10K pot.

Is a better solution to just plug the jib trim servo into the elevator position on the reciever and use the rudder
stick up and down to trim the jib? Will that work?

Thanks for the feedback.

Jim
EC-12 #60
Scudman

Re: Modding a DX%e for Jib Trim

Postby Bigjake » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:45 am

Jim,

I am using a DX6i in which the throttle (LH stick up-and -down movement) function is used for sail operation. For jib trim, I did the following:
a. Removed the elevator dual rate switch from the L/H top of the unit housing and just taped it inside the radio without cutting any wires.
b. Installed a pot in place of the removed switch. I also used a pot from an old radio and I have no idea of its parameters. It fitted without any need for mechanical alterations to the radio housing.
c. Cut the "rudder" wires disconnecting this function from the L/H stick and connected them to the pot thus making the "rudder" function in the radio the jib trim one. Had to lengthen the wires.

Now my radio set up is the following:
a. The "ailerons" (R/H stick) operates the boat's rudder with the "aileron dual rate" function, activated by flipping the switch on the R/H top side of the unit, working beautifully for the boat's rudder.
b. The "throttle" function (L/H stick) operates the 280 and the pot operates the jib trim.

What the pot installation has given me is allowing the fingers of my left hand operate the sails while the trimming of the jib is accomplished with the index finger of the same hand by turning the pot. So, right hand is for rudder and left hand for sails.
Other people have done similar modifications.It works great.

Jake
Blue 1222
Bigjake

Postby Scudman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 am

Thanks for the reply Jake.

I tried the 10K pot that came out of the old Ranger, but it did not work.
I can see how mounting it the top left would be an advantage and will keep that in mind.
I now need to somehow find the correct value for the pot.
I am understanding that you hooked up your pot wires from the pot for the left/right movement of the Left Stick normally used for sail trim.

Jim
Scudman

Postby Bigjake » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 am

Jim,

The sail trim is operated by the L/H stick up and down movement - stick down results in the sails being drawn in, stick up and sails are let out. This channel operates the RMG. The pot I connected directly to the "left/right movement" (Rudder) of the L/H stick and by that I got a dedicated channel to operate the boat's jib trim servo alone and independently of the RMG. The result is a huge amount of trim possibilities.
I am not a very experienced EC12 sailor but I apply what I have learnt in the many years that I have sailed "big boats". I concentrate on the sails and thus move the sails in and out all the time by moving the L/H stick up and down. After setting the main with the stick, the proximity of the pot and its function of trimming only the jib is used to fine tune both sails' set-up with one hand. I never look at the screen.
Hope it works for you.

Jake
Blue twelve 22
Bigjake

Postby tag1945 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:49 am

Jim

The pot is a 5K pot...
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Postby bigjohn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 am

Jim I used to use the 5K pot but did not like the results, you only get about 90 deg rotation for full servo travel, the last 2 transmitters I did ( Hitec & DX6i ) I used a 2K pot with a 1.5K resistor on the outside legs of the pot, the radio still sees 5K in the circuit, I know get over 200 deg rotation for full servo travel.

John R.
John R #316
bigjohn

Postby Bigjake » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 am

John R.

Why do you need such a huge servo travel (200 deg!)?

Jake
Blue twelve 22
Bigjake

Postby Bigjake » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:21 am

John R.

Sorry but after reading your post again I got what you meant. No need to explain.

Jake

Blue twelve 22
Bigjake

Postby Scudman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 am

Thanks John. I think a trip to the electronics supply store is in order. I may pick up a range of pots between 2K and 5K and try a few to see what works best on the DX5e.

Jim
Scudman

Return to Electronics