6J radio sheeting fine trim versus RMG position

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

6J radio sheeting fine trim versus RMG position

Postby s vernon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am

I figure this might be normal and just something I have to live with and therefore will have to take my eyes off the boat and onto the radio screen to read, but I will ask the question.

I notice that with the stick all the way in the winch stops sheeting in when the trim number on the screen gets to 100, but it does not start sheeting out until the number goes down to 80. It is dead on the way out between 100 and 80.

Is there anything that can be changed on the radio's programming to make the radio act the same sheeting in and sheeting out at close hauled when using the trim button? It seems like the winch should start moving in or out starting with the same number being displayed in both cases.

I wish that trim number would stay on the screen for a longer time as well.

Other than that I love the radio.

Thank you
Scott
s vernon

Re: 6J radio sheeting fine trim versus RMG position

Postby Rick West » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 pm

I do not know about numbers on the screen...maybe missed something. I use bumps on the stick so I can feel and count movements. The RMG responds at all levels of stick movement. I have noticed no dead spots.

Did I understand your questions correctly? I love this radio and the channel 6 mixing.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby hedderick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Scott,

Check this out:
I suspect that the winch is not actually going in any further as you incease trim from 80 up to 100. Then as you trim out, the winch starts again as you go below 80.

What I suspect is as you trim in, at 80 you hit the limit of winch travel, possibly a set end point.

You can resolve this by:

1) Reseting the end point on the winch

2) setting the drum on the winch shaft one position tighter

Feel free to email mail me directly if you need more info.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Rick West » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:59 pm

I see the use of trim for controlling end points is setting the RMG up for an overshoot. The end point adjustments are better set for the winch in the established calibration programming provided by RMG. I subscribe to Germer's programming by RMG. Hacking the operation of the winch outside of the processor could cause a lockdown or damage and the end of the heat, if not the race. What is gained by doing this.

This also presents a complication of a rather simple programming radio that does a great job. If there are dead spots using trim for programming sounds like pilot error...my opinion. KISS and finish the heat.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby cgbillb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 am

Scott

How do you like the 6J? I am thinking about getting one,for my EC12.

Bill Bibeault

bbibeault@charter.net
cgbillb

Postby Rick West » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

Bill, this is a fine radio for our applications in sailing. The recent changes by Futaba has enhanced our experience. That said, the radio people make radios for the larger market and that is for aircraft and ground vehicles. We have always had to work with what they produce and have done well, actually. 12 Discussion has covered all the modifications through the years and many radio models. The advent of adding a chip, thereby creating an operating system has been wonderful to all and of great assistance to the few sailing.

I should also not say if you would like to ask another member something directly, 12 Discussions has a Personal Message function in this forum. We like to stay within a discussion format than one of chat. By this we have become a resource for the class on subjects.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Postby s vernon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:57 am

Schooner Man, I love the radio. I modified the (jib trim) knob by gluing part of a toothpick on top as a pointer and a couple of little wood blocks on either side to limit the roation to slightly less than the limits of the jib trim servo. the knob originally spun well past where the servo stopped rotating.

I like to use the sail trim fine trim button, and like I tried to say here, with the stick all the way in, when I trim in using that button I have to go to 100 on the screen for all the way in on the RMG, but on the way out with the button the RMG does not start letting the sails out until 80. The answer is not to just sheet in to 80 because the RMG does not start sheeting out from that point right away either when I use the button. Just something I have to live with I guess and I will mostly take Rick West's advice and just use the movement and ratcheting of the stick. That worked well.
Scott
s vernon

Return to Electronics