To limit sheet travel on RMG stepdown drum

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

To limit sheet travel on RMG stepdown drum

Postby s vernon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I do not think I have ever read that this is an accepted way to do this, but it seems logical to me.

I am using a older stepdown drum than the current 32ZS6 stepdown drum so it gives me too much travel with 100% throw on the stick. This drum has more revolutions than the 32ZS6 before it steps down to the small diameter. If I limit the number of turns of the RMG, it seems like the fewer turns will cause the sheet line to never go onto the small part of the drum unless I start with about 3/4 of a wrap at full out. I do not want to have to do that.

It seems like the solution would be to drill a new hole in the drum for the sheet (with the stop knot) to go thru about 3/4 of a turn away from the current hole. Then I would set the end points for the winch to turn 3/4 of a turn less.

Has anyone else ever done that or what else might be done to limit sheet travel? Or am I not seeing this correctly?

Thanks
Last edited by s vernon on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott
s vernon

Re: To limit sheet travel on RMG stepdown drum

Postby tag1945 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Scott

The RMG winch is programed via an on board chip. It makes setting the end points of travel very easy. You do not want to use the Transmitter end point adjustment for this winch. If you go to the RMG web site, you can download the manual and the procedures for setting up the winch properly....
[url]
https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/pag ... Winch.html[/url]

Tom
Tom Germer
AMYA #6571
tag1945

Re: To limit sheet travel on RMG stepdown drum

Postby s vernon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Tom,

Thanks. That is good information for this discussion.

I now understand my problem and it can be rectified by using the current 32ZS6 drum. I still think this would be a good idea if someone is using an older RMG stepdown drum and wanting 16.5 inches of sheet travel with stepdown at closehauled.
Scott
s vernon

Return to Electronics