Futaba 6J First Impressions

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Futaba 6J First Impressions

Postby hedderick » Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 pm

My old Spektrum DX 6 finally gave up the ghost after many years of great service. Based on a summary by Rick West, I purchased a new Futaba 6J.

I chose the Futaba 6J for several reasons:
It has a rotary knob on channel six that can be used independently or mixed into any other channel for jib trim control.
It has an internal antenna.
It can accomodated a standard LiFe battery without modification. I now use LiFe batteries exclusively.
It has a 15 model memory.
It has a built in count down timer with beeps for the last ten seconds that can be used for starts.
It was on sale at Tower hobbies for $145 for Tx and RX, free 2 day delivery, no tax.

I received the radio yesterday and had it installed in my EC 12 and ready to go in a couple of hours.
I set the jib trim to work ( Joe Walter style) with the left stick (left and right) actuating the jib trim. Then I mixed in the knob on channel six, so that I can also position the mid point of the jib trim on the water with the knob. The instructions in the manual with the radio easy to read and follow.

Went sailing today with the Futaba 6J installed and it worked flawlessly. The receiver links up almost instantly with the transmitter. The sticks seemed really smooth and control of all functions worked as planned. To me, the radio has a good feel. I sailed the boat to nearly out of site and back and reception seemed perfect.

So, all in all, this radio works well out of the box for our sailing application. I'll give you another report after a few months of sailing.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Re: Futaba 6J First Impressions

Postby Wild Doogie » Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Very nice write up and summary of the Futaba 6J. Looks like it has more usable features than the DX6 and straight forward user friendly.
:mrgreen: Looks to be on my want list soon!

Thanks!
Wild Doogie

Postby hedderick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

This is a follow up to my first post on the Futaba 6J radio system:

After using this Futaba 6J system for 4 months, I continue to be very pleased. In summary, the radio is very simple to operate and is very dependable.

The ease of operation can be highlighted by a few points:
The LCD display is very large and easy to read.
Switching between models is simple (I have receivers in 3 different boats)
The receiver and transmitter "link up" almost instantly when turned on. No waiting while the RMG beep, beeps.
The built in rotary knob is perfect for jib trim control.
The antenna is internal, so it doesn't get in the way or get broken off.
With a LiFe battery installed, run time is 6+ hours.
The transmitter is very light and easy to hold.

So far, dependability is perfect.
No glitches noticed.
No part failures or breakage.
If you want them, all the advanced programming features, like end point adjustments, are there and work as advertised.

If you want a 2.4 ghz Futaba radio this is a good one. At a street price of $150, it is way, way better than the basic Futaba 2.4 ghz radio. It offers all the advanced features without being overly complex or expensive.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby Skip Hall » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi Richard,

I have a couple of questions as to how to program this radio for the jib trim. I don't understand the airplane ligo and want to program the center knob as you did on my 12's. Can you reply to my email address: skiphall@optonline.net

I don't know if I use the information on page #37 or somewere else.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Skip Hall
Skip Hall
Skip Hall

Postby hedderick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:19 am

I answered Skip's question off line. He asked how to set up the Futaba 6J, if you only want to use the rotary knob on the transmitter to control jib trim.
The rotary knob controls channel 6. So you just plug in the jib trim servo into postion 6 on the receiver and you are good to go. Turning the knob back and forth on the transmitter will move the jib in and out.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby hedderick » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Just to wrap up this post....
I have been using the Futaba 6J for about a year now. About a dozen other skippers I know are also using this radio. Here is a summary:

It just works..no problems, no glitches, no breaking trim switches, etc. Excellent radio range.
At start up, the receiver link up to transmitter is instantaneous. No beep, beep, from the RMG.
Internal antenna is really nice. Nothing to break off.
Nice big screen to identify sailboat type, voltage, etc.
Built in rotary knob is perfect for jib trim.
Well written instruction manual. Easy radio to program.

If you want a great 2.4 ghz radio system for $150, this is it. Extra receivers are $40.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby s vernon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59 am

Dick,

Where can a person buy them for $150. I see $180 at Tower and on ebay. You must know something.

But I too love the radio, even at $180.
Scott
s vernon

Postby hedderick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 pm

I did see the Futaba 6J at rc-fever. com for $154. It is a Hong Kong web site, so I'd be careful.
Tower Hobbies is offering it now for $180, shipping prepaid. Tower does offer a 15% off special from time to time, so if possible, I'd wait for that and then snatch one.
But even at $180, I'd still get it. The thing has been so dependable and easy to use....
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby greerdr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 pm

I agree,
this radio works great for me,and as many are using it on the lake,help is nearby.
Could we ask Tower for a discount based on AMYA ?
We all buy from these guys(Tower) and I am sure Dave Brawner will read this post and maybe send an e-mail or offer ad space in our magazine (with discount coupon, so they could see how often we buy from them) to Tower.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Wild Doogie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Here is a site that has it for $150...

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/futaba-6j- ... 3efac9f3d3
Wild Doogie

Postby s vernon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm

I had my Spectrum DX6i mixed so the jib trim (channel whatever knob which was added) went out when I let the sails out, but the Futaba 6J seems like it will only let me use channels 1 or 4 as the master. I wonder if there is any way to fool the radio into letting me use throttle as a master (and then mix with jib trim). It is not worth it to me to clip and resolder wires internally, to wire up channel 3 as channel 4.
Scott
s vernon

Postby RMDJBD » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:51 am

Scott

I watch Ebay, Search " FUTABA 6J ", $ 149.00 with free shipping. Just make sure you read the info and make sure it comes with the Receiver, some are Transmitter only.
Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby hedderick » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Scott,
You can slave the jib trim to the sail control on the Futaba 6J.
Scroll to function PMX1 or PMX2 . These will accept channel 3 (sail winch) as master and channel 6 (jib trim) as slave.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Postby s vernon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 am

Thank you Richard. I need to be spoon fed sometimes.
Scott
s vernon

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:20 am

Was that last comment a sincere thank you with a touch of humor or was it pure sarcasm? Because I will not stand for either of them on this forum! LOL
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Return to Electronics