RMG 280EL vs 280ES w 45zs4st drum

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

RMG 280EL vs 280ES w 45zs4st drum

Postby DonBarker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 pm

I've read all the old posts on self tensioning drums and want to try it out with a refit of an older EC12 (2000 build) that I recently picked up. The boat came with an old RMG 280 winch that I'm having trouble getting consistent resolution. It sputters and jumps and is just not smooth. Thus I am considering a new winch.

Will a 280ES with a 45zs4st have enough torque, or should I use a 280EL which has a little more torque? I want the resolution of the 5 turn 280ES versus the 6 turn 280EL. I am sheeting the main boom to the deck like most US boats and not a posts like most boats in the southern hemisphere. Thus any extra resolution in the close hauled position is of benefit.

Don Barker
#2025 & #1504

Don Barker
DonBarker

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Don,

The 280EL with the spiral drum is all you need. Excellent resolution when close hauled so no jumpy sail movements. Sailed a regatta in October with winds in excess of 25kts. No performance problems with this set up at all. Rob does a very nice job with these winches.

Good luck...

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby DonBarker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks Chuck,

I know the 280EL will work well with either the 32mm 6 turn spiral drum (32zst) or the 45mm 4 turn spiral drum (45zst). I'm interested in trying out a self tensioning drum set-up. Since they do not make a 32mm self tensioning spiral drum I am faced with using the 45mm self tensioning spiral drum. I know this will work with the 280EL, but with this set-up you are reducing the precision (resolution) of the winch going from 6 turns down to 4 turns. This might be a moot point since the precision is only needed when the boom is in a near close hauled position and your sheet line is now on the smallest diameter of the spiral drum.

This got me studying the specifications of the other smart winches. The 280ES is a 5 turn winch compared to the 280EL which is a 6 turn winch. The resolution of the 280ES on a 26mm drum is 0.41mm compared to the 280EL which is 0.49mm (and agrees with the theoretical ratio of 5/6). Thus the 280ES will have better precision (resolution) with a 4 turn drum than the 280EL. Again this may be a moot point since we are now talking about resolution ratios of 5/4 (280ES) vs 6/4 (280EL) which returns us to the ratio of resolution between the 280ES vs 280EL of 5/6 independent of the drum, as long as it is the same on the two comparison winches.

I guess I am convincing my self that the increased resolution of the 280ES (and the increased line speed due to a higher speed motor) is not worth the approximately 20% drop in torque to 15.4 kg-cm from 19.3 kg-cm. I'm acutely aware that in storm conditions the last thing you want is to be under powered.

Thanks for the bandwidth.
Don

Don Barker
DonBarker

Postby Fred Maurer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16 am

Hello Don, I have ditched the whole bungee issue by using an ID Badge Retractable Reel to provide the return tension. I used this system all this year and never had any problems. The reel provides the perfect tension and will work with any winch/drum combination you want. I mounted my first one on the compression strut. That also has the advantage of eliminating the bungee running over the winch and assorted servos. It would be very easy to change out should the need arise. Had the winch/servo mount been designed to incorporate the retract reel and turning block, the complete unit could be removed and replaced in minutes. These reels can be found at almost any office supply store. For a look at what I am talking about try

http://www.lanyardsupply.com/lanyards/b ... -reals.htm
Fred Maurer

Return to Electronics