Spektrum Dx6i subtrim switch problem

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Spektrum Dx6i subtrim switch problem

Postby s vernon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Sail control subtrim switch crapped out. Hopefully I will be able to fix it. I know Spektrum service is very good if I fail. You hate to see this on an otherwise very good product - other than the roller breaking problem and the weakness of the antenna and maybe some other things.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947952

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=125

Maybe this second link is good advice for keeping the roller alive. I guess I will mark "push here" at the roller switch top on my radio. Amazing.

Scott
s vernon

Postby pgfaini » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Scott, Tony S. Mounted a pot on his DX6i right below the antenna, smack in the center of the model label, to control his jib trim. I may do the same, it's much more effective than the elevator stick I'm using, since the stick subtrim doesn't give enough jib movement. Couldn't you do the same for the sails? It can be wired to allow both the pot and the stick to work together.

Paul #614
pgfaini

Postby jack wubbe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Scott;

There have been lots of problems with DX6i trim toggles. Check out this site for Alum. replacements. Lots better than the ones Spektrum will send you.
http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=est ... 05650.2653

<font color="red">This outfit also makes a roller switch for the DX6i. I still have the origional one but its good to know there something else out there if needed.</font id="red">

Jack Wubbe
EC-12 #2044
jack wubbe

Postby s vernon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:30 am

The excellent pictures on the site that Jack linked to are very helpful in understanding what we are up against and how it can be taken apart and repaired. For a short term fix I took the good part from my unused channel and put it in place of the broken part. It is a fairly easy to install fix.

It is disturbing thast JR chose to put such a flimsy part on the Spektrum Dx6i radio. It seems like a large percentage of them will eventually fail. I will buy and install the metal replacement parts and will also make sure I only push down on the strong (upper) end of the roller to try to not snap the weak end. Metal replacement roller is available on that site.

Thank you Jack. Also thank you Paul.

Scott
s vernon

Postby marcsmith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Scott,
I know many folk have relocated their antenna inside the transmitter with no ill effects. I have done it on both my dx6i's and my dx6 with no adverse range issues.

There is a toggle switch just left of the bind toggle. I removed that switch and put my jib trim pot there. the nice thing is that while youa re holding the TX and using your thumbs to steer and adjust the sails, you can use your index finger to roll the pot to tweak the jib.

although there are times where I wish I did not have the jib trim. gives me to many things to mess around with...
marcsmith

Return to Electronics