PCM Sail Sheeting Glich

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

PCM Sail Sheeting Glich

Postby s vernon » Sat May 15, 2004 9:28 pm

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and knows of a solution. This happened to me and my 3UCP a while back, then it happened with my 6XAS. Now it is happening to my buddy with his 6XAS. I solved my recent problem by going to PPC - Skysport rcvr. That is kind of a copout, but I just wanted to get it to stop. I cannot remmeber how I fixed the problemn on the 3UCP.

Anyway - the problem.

I sheet the sails out and about 30 seconds later they sheet in to about half way with no input from me. The only way I can sheet them back out is to sheet in then back out. Then 30 seconds later same thing. Maddening.

You can say failsafe, but I do not think that is it. Fresh batteries in the radio and boat. The silly thing is that it is out of the blue. The only possible thing that might have been recently changed is that the RMG might have been recently resetup. That should cause this tho.

It is almost comforting to see that this has happened to someone else besides me. Maybe I am not crazy.

As always thank you for your help (if you can).

Scott
s vernon

Postby Greg Vasileff » Sun May 16, 2004 1:10 am

Sounds like the RMG to me. Very temperamental if you don't feed them right. Check all of your battery wires, switch, and batteries. I went through these problems for about two years till just the other night I completely re-wired the power lines to the winch and eliminated the switch. Sailed today without a problem for the first time.

Then on the other hand, it could be something else...[xx(]

greg V
http://ghmyc.org/
Greg Vasileff

Postby s vernon » Sun May 16, 2004 9:53 am

Greg,

First I'll try that radio in PCM on different boats - and on my spare RMG as well. That might show me whether it is the RMG or the radio.

Thanks, I'll post how it turns out.

Scott
s vernon

Postby s vernon » Sun May 16, 2004 5:22 pm

I hooked the PCM rcvr back up to the RMG and changed the xmtr to PCM. Problem seems to have gone away. That is unfortunate. So I still have no idea what causes it or what cures it.

Scott
s vernon

Postby s vernon » Mon May 17, 2004 9:39 pm

My buddy emailed me that he turned the winch failsafe off and that solved the problem.

Scott
s vernon

Postby MichaelJ2K » Tue May 18, 2004 11:16 am

Check the Grand Poobah's (Rick West) story on the Phantom of the Bilge in the building site. It may answer your questions.
MichaelJ2K

Return to Electronics