Li-Poly batteries

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Li-Poly batteries

Postby PaulP » Fri May 07, 2004 7:46 pm

Has anyone in our group tried the new Lithium Poly type batteries? Success? Problems?

There can be some problems associated with their handling (major fire source if you aren't careful) but they offer a weight advantage for those who are after the last little ounce.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Doug Wotring » Fri May 07, 2004 8:27 pm

I have not tried them but know guys that use them in electric planes.

Definite weight and size advantage. Fire is a concern both during operation and charging....not an issue if you handle them exactly like your supposed to.

They require a charger that is capable of charging Litium batts however an added expense over that of the battery
Doug Wotring

Postby Shawn Bivins » Fri May 07, 2004 11:41 pm

how much more are these batteries relative to nimh? Where can you buy them...

Shawn Bivins
EC-12 #2999
Mid-Atlantic Yacht Club
Shawn Bivins

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon May 10, 2004 10:10 am

A couple of sources for Li-Poly is Batteries America and Radical RC. You can read up on Ni-cads, Ni-mh and Li-poly batteries on Ezone.

FWIW, li-po's are usually used for power sources, not used on radios. Personally, I would not use a li-po on the radio as the voltage must be regulated for the radio and winch. I'm really not sure of the weight advantage gained but I do know that you can stay on the pond for a very long time.
MichaelJ2K

Postby yachtie » Wed May 12, 2004 11:19 pm

FWIW - I have been using 2100Mah Nicads - as used in rc cars - for the last 4 years. Whilst not as light they fit snuggly down inside the keel in front of the rudder.
Best of all they are very cheap - around $40 NZD ($27 USD)! and I can get a full days racing without battery change in light - moderate breeze. in our heavy air (20 knots true + ) a change at lunchtime ensures safety![:D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
yachtie

Return to Electronics