rudder twich

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

rudder twich

Postby EC1210 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Posted - 02/24/2010 : 15:07:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, Just looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and can offer what to try next?

I brief background as follows:
Was getting a rudder twitch. and loss of control.
Changed the batteries, as was told at a regatta, maybe have a bad cell
changed the rudder servo
changed the receiver
changed the receiver location and antenna
changed the transmitter
changed the crystals.
checked the wire diagram as stated on page 8 of RMG manual
This weekend set the hull on the work bench and was ok, went to the Lake Sunday, got ready, hull in stand, batteries in and switch on, all was ok, until I went to the sail box. Once I touched the rig/sails and went near the boat, not touching the hull, just within a few feet the twitch would start. even had someone else hold the rig, to see if I was giving off a electric charge, or bad vibes.
Any help or advice you have would be helpful.
Radio near or far from boat, no difference.
Earl
EC1210

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 pm

Well Earl,

If you changed all that you listed and you have had the problem at two different lakes without another radio within miles...

I would have to conclude that maybe you should take up golf.[:)]

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby yachtie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:49 am

Is their an Exorcism required? [;)]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 am

Hi Earl,

Sure is a wonder. Can you duplicate the problem every time you touch the rig/sails? You indicate that all is well until you arrive at the lake and touch the rig box. How about at home? Is the TX on or off when you are touching the sails/rig?

Has this always been a problem or have all things worked well up to a point and then you had problems? If so, what changed either with the boat or with you? Did you buy and new cell phone? Get a pacemaker? Buy a car with ONSTAR? Something has happened to influence this change...

Since you changed so many things, I would restore everything to what it was when you had the problem and establish that it is still not working. Then, while it is twitching, turn off any known electronic device around you with the exception of the radio TX and RX and see if you have any changes.

If you don't have any change, put down the TX while the rudder is twitching and hold the rig/sails and back away. Does it stop?

You need to try to isolate the problem and hopfully it will give you some answers.

Let me know how you make out,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Turn off your cell phone.
Try rudder as only servo in the reciever (isolate RMG)
Look into the new Skysport 2.4 radio/reciever.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Earl,
What radio are you using? You might try to route all wires away from the receiver if possible, especially the receiver antenna. It's possible that you are either getting a signal reflection off the mast or your radio may need to be tuned which could cause the twitching and short range. Have the radio serviced by a tech shop like Radio South or send it to a manufacturers service center. Changing crystals is not the thing to do. Touching the rig or standing near the boat is possibly causing a reflection of the signal.

My bet is a radio tune up. Any takers?[:D]

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Return to Electronics