'pot' adjustment

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

'pot' adjustment

Postby philair » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:46 pm

I'm told that the pot used for jib trim can be adjusted so that the trim range is considerably wider.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
philair

Postby s vernon » Sun May 02, 2004 6:20 pm

I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean more "trim range" on the servo pot or the xmtr pot? The way to get more range on a servo is to add resistance, I believe. One example of that is written up in the US1M Construction Guide which can be linked form the AMYA links site.

I am not sure the question makes sense if you mean the radio pot. However I personally have modified a few 4 channel skysports to put full throw on a stick that takes the place of the right hand vertical trim lever. Jim Linville thought the process was a bit too complicated for a Model Yachting article and he is probably right.

Scott
s vernon

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon May 03, 2004 8:32 am

To increase the throw on a servo several things must be done. First, you have to remove the stops that are molded inside the servo case. then solder two 5K adjustable trimmer pots to the servo pot. You will use these 5K pots to determine the value of the resistors you are going to install in the servo. Once you find the movement you want, remove the 5K trimmers and install the appropriate value resistors. A less complicated way is to use a high torque servo for you application and a servo arm that gives you the jib adjustment you desire.
MichaelJ2K

Postby Skip Quinn » Mon May 03, 2004 9:14 pm

Hi Phil. I just bought a skysport 4 ch. I had this done and it increased my servo from maybe 25 degrees to maybe 150 or 160 degrees on my jib trim servo. Works great, but you might want to find someone that knows how its done. There's a trick to it. Don't quote me on the degrees but it's great. Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby PegLeg » Tue May 11, 2004 11:53 pm

Phil
I am about to modify a Futaba Tx to add a Mouser 72-P16NP-5K pot to the left side of the case and wire it in place of the left stick pot on the gimball. This will give the full throw of the stick and trim combined. Be careful to wire the new pot exsctly as the old (OEM) was. The Mouser pot costs $5.98 + S&H. Will let you know how it works in a week or so.
Pete
PegLeg

Return to Electronics