How much battery?

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

How much battery?

Postby michaele69 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 pm

I am going to the EC-12 Nats and am wondering how much battery I need. My transmittetr is a Futaba 2.4 and it has a 9.6v 2200mah NIMH pack in it. I have two sets of 6.0v 2000mah batteries for the boat. Is this going to be enough for a day, or should I get some spares?

Thanks,

Michael Edwards - EC-12 1969
michaele69

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi Micheal,

We will be sailing three heats which means unless you are moving up and down the heats, you will be sitting out with your TX and RX off for most of the time. Sounds like you have all you need but that said, it may be worth having one or two RX packs extra just in case. One RX pack like that should get you through a day of sailing in a three heat regatta but as most of us already know, something and anything can go wrong and it usally does.

Have you used these packs for full day events before? Have they gone the distance? If you have never used one of the RX packs all day, it would still be worth having an extra in your back pocket.

See you there,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:55 am

I recently bought a "load tester". It has given me some suprises as to my battery packs:a 8.2 total voltage on the Voltmeter is really 6.01 under load. This little gem is available from "Windjammin sails " as the "Sentry".
I saw Dave Ramos using one at Mystic and knew this was the real deal on knowing your battery pack.
That all said Chuck has lead you right;have a back-up to the back-up as equipment failure is the pits and happens to us all.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 am

I have an Ace Nautical Commander with a 1750ma NiMh pack and carry a 1750ma NiMh pack in the boat. They lasted all day so I think you're in good shape.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Return to Electronics