Servo flutter

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Servo flutter

Postby usail » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:36 pm

I have a Futaba 6EX Transmitter and a Futaba S9351 servo controlling my rudder. It's been fine for a year, but yesterday it started fluttering (like when someone is on your frequency) when I powered up. I've tried 3 different fully charged batt packs and have checked the connections on the receiver. The transmitter also has over 10v.
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM. I'm hoping to go to Cambridge regatta next weekend so I NEED HELP!!!!!
Thanks,
Bill Ewing
usail

Postby usail » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Addendum:
I also tried hooking the rudder servo to another spot on the receiver but it still flutters.
Bill
usail

Postby greerdr » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Bad servo...final answer.
Have a few in my workshop if you find a cure.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby usail » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks, I thought I'd probably eliminated everything else.
By the way, is there much Micro Magic sailing in Fla. (or anyplace else on the east coast).
I'm hoping to get down (from Jersey) for the EC12 Nationals. Do you know of any MM racing going on around that time?
Bill Ewing
usail

Postby RMDJBD » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Bill

Try putting a koad on the rudder with your hand and have some one move atleast 10 feet from the boat, if it does not stop you may need to rebind the Tx with the Rx.

There is also the problem with a dirty pot in the servo which fixed with a Qtip and some alcohal. you need to take the servo apart and wipe the carbon dust off.

If you want call me and I will tell you how.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby greerdr » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Bob's suggestion about the pot is very good.Try that first.
As far as micro's;log on to the web site for Micromagic and view how active region 3,especially Fla,is for the little wonder.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby usail » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks guys. I purchased a hitech replacement servo which seems to work fine. I will however call Bob to see if I can save the futaba. I did just take it apart and put it back together and it didn't flutter as much.
Thanks again for the help. This is a terrific website.
Bill
usail

Return to Electronics