RMG - sheeting in on its own

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

RMG - sheeting in on its own

Postby Frandito » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 am

I am poiplexed!

At random times while sailing, the sheets will sheet in to closehauled.
I move the Tx to close hauled and out, and it clears.

I have had the RMG checked and replace it with a spare
I have changed the Tx ( i use the same radio for 3 other boats with no problem)
I have disconnected the jib trim

Next is to change the rudder servo and the Rx

any ideas?
Victim of Soicumstances #2091
Frandito

Re: RMG - sheeting in on its own

Postby MichaelJ2K » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:44 pm

What battery are you using for winch power? I have a similar problem with a 1650ma NiMh 7.2 volt pack that I'm attributing to the higher current drain of the winch, 2.4 GHz receiver (Futaba) and two digital servos (Hitec). I'm looking at 3300ma 6.6 volt LiFe packs that might cure the problem.

I didn't have the problem with winch hooked to an Ace Nautical Commander on 27 MHz and two analog servos.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby greerdr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 pm

Move away from others.
2.4 skipping is great;not infallible.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby rs vernon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:49 am

Since this has become a "bad 2.4 ghz experiences" thread...
I have some Futaba 6J radios and some standard issue R2006GS receivers. All of a sudden one of the receivers stopped talking to any and all RMG winches. Otherwise that receiver works fine.

Scott
rs vernon

Postby MichaelJ2K » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I did some troubleshooting with the winch and rudder servo.
Rudder: Hitec HS-5645MG (digital)
Jib: Hitec HS-645MG (analog)
Rx: Futaba R2006GS F-HSS
Tx: Futaba T6J
Battery: 3000mah LiFeP04 6.6 volt

I found that the rudder servo is interacting with the RMG when the rudder stick moves to the extremes, causing the winch to move uncommanded. I plugged in the analog servo and there was no interaction. I'm going to contact Rob Guyatt and ask what he thinks is causing the interaction.

Does anyone else have this problem with Futaba radios and digital servos?
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby MichaelJ2K » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 pm

I got a reply from Rob Guyatt.

"Hi Mike,

The issue is not about analog vs digital. It is the power requirements of this servo. It requires more current than the winch regulator can supply causing problems for the receiver. No RC yacht class needs a servo with this much power. A servo of half that one’s torque will steer any class of RC yacht with ease and will give no glitching as you have now.

Cheers

Rob"

I'm pulling the digital servo out and replacing it with a HS-645MG or similar item.
Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby hedderick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:01 pm

I use hitec digital servos with an RMG and a Futaba 6J without any difficult. However, the trick is to feed the receiver power DIRECTLY from the LiFe battery. Then the receiver and the Hitec digital servos receive 6.6 volts continuously.
If you power the receiver from the RMG winch circuit, the receiver only gets 5 volts and only about 1 amp. Then when you hit the rudder hard, the rudder servos tries to draw high amps and the voltage drops causing the receiver to operate sporadically. Then everything on the boat may jiggle....
Feeding the receiver directly is not to difficult to accomplish. You just need to split the wire circuit coming after the main power(battery) switch. One wire circuit goes to the winch, the other to the receiver. Now, you MUST also cut the power lead (the middle wire) on the RMG servo wire that plugs into the receiver. There is a detailed (alternate) wiring diagram that comes with the RMG winch that shows how this should be done.....
This may sound daunting, but is the best way to get high power to BOTH the RMG winch and the rudder servo. If you need clarification, feel free to email me directly.
Richard Hedderick 38
hedderick

Return to Electronics