jib trim using a skektrum dx6i

Radios, Servos, Winches, Batteries
All things that can make sparks

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

jib trim using a skektrum dx6i

Postby deepwater » Sat May 31, 2014 10:19 am

hi guys,i just bought an ec-12 and I need to figure out how to get jib trim with the dx6i. throttle is sails in/out, ailerion is rudder, jib trim is ?.I am told it needs to a slide/ratchet action,not on/off i.e retracts. what is the best way to achieve this.any help would be appreciated. thank you very much, john :?
deepwater

Re: jib trim using a skektrum dx6i

Postby s vernon » Sat May 31, 2014 4:41 pm

One way to do it using the right hand up/down stick for jib trim. Personally I like the Futaba 6J. I have to agree with Bob D that a stick for jib trim might not be the best answer for everyone. With the DX61 I would sometimes inadvertently move the right hand up/down adjustment while using that stick for steering so I am better off with a knob. Tho the stick does have its advantages like playing the jib trim upwind in light air.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1247&p=8003#p8003
Scott
s vernon

Postby steve h » Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 pm

If youre also a flyer, the right hand stick (elevator) is a great option for jib trim control. You can minimize the unintentional movement by adding some expo to the rudder (plane aileron channel), to soften the middle of the stick. If you have the boat balance correct, you can sail large chunks of upwind legs just by using the jib trim.

Others have used the left/right channel (airplane rudder, left gimbal) for it. Any direction you choose to go, it will take some getting used to, so stick with it.

Some other tips for programming: Dual rates on the rudder. have quite a bit of throw on high rates (for mark roundings, evasive maneuvers, tacking/gybing), and about 10-15 degrees of throw on low rates with a lot of expo to soften the middle of the stick. I use about +40% expo on this channel, and use the low rates on downwind runs, and when the boat is tracking right, on upwind legs.

The Victoria issue of Model Yachting a year or so ago has a couple of other spektrum programming ideas, using two other switches on the transmitter.
#1988 and #1858...aka Frank's boat
steve h

Postby RMDJBD » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:56 am

You can also install a 15 mm or 5/8 in 5k pot in the airplane rudder ( left stick ) by taking out a switch and hiding it inside the Tx.

You then piggy back the 3 leads off the rudder pot to the new installed pot. When finished the jib trim will be on the new pot.

Their is an article on the EC-12 building sight that Rick West did the mod on a Futaba 6ex Tx, he also has pic's of the modifications.

If you have trouble give me a call, I also have the 5K pot.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D. MARINE
Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby Bigjake » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

I did the same mod as described by Dudinsky and it works beautifully. I removed a switch above the left stick that now controls the sails and installed a pot in its place. Now I can control the sails and trim the jib at the same time with the fingers of my left hand.

Jake
Blue twelve 22
Bigjake

Postby grichie5 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 am

My newly purchased E C 12 came with a Spektrum DXi6 radio with a pot installed to control the jib trim.
Is there any reason why the rudder control trim switch can not be used for trimming the jib? I bench tested this use with a servo.The trim switch seems to give me about 1 inch of travel. This distance would be doubled when used in the boat and varies with the length of the arm.

Using the trim switch would allow more exact positioning than the rotary pot allows, since the movements are click controlled and the exact position is shown on the bar graph.

grichie5
grichie5

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 am

My jib trim is on the same stick as the sheets. Up and down for the sheets, side to side for the jib trim. Two sticks to control everything with just my two thumbs. No need to ever look down at the radio to find the knob or check the trim tab. I work the jib trim all the time up wind and down. It becomes natural after a while. Plus I can still use the trim tab to adjust the jib if I want it to stay in a particular spot.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby Fred Maurer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:58 pm

I am with Joe on this one. Another interesting feature of the left stick option is that when you let go of the left/right control the jib always returns to the "neutral" position.
Fred Maurer

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 am

I join Joe and Fred on this one. Left stick side to side is my jib slot adjustment. Works well for a number of reasons.

Using jib slot adjustment for me is only a temporary thing for a few moments each time. My neutral spot is where I like my jib 90% of the time both upwind and downwind.

Upwind, I can squeeze the jib slot going upwind for a few moments of gaining some elevation on the boat behind simply to clear myself for a tack but doing so slows the boat down and not something I want to leave the jib in that spot for. I want it to go back to my base adjustment when I am done without having to look at my radio and take my eyes off the course and other boats. The spring loaded centering does that for me. Never have to think about it or think about what number my dial was at before I moved it.

Downwind, I like to push the jib out beyond perpendicular to center line which allows me to sail a bit hotter angle with the jib flying like a Spinnaker. I can do this easily and as I enter the mark and prepare to round, the spring loaded centering gets me exactly where I want it to be for going upwind. My attention and my eyes on the rounding, not on my radio trying to set the boat up for going back upwind.

Lastly, using the left stick does not void the warranty on my radio.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Electronics