FM Vang

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

FM Vang

Postby Rick West » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 pm

http://www.ec12.info/Vang%20Build.htm
A solid spring compression vang build has been added to the Sail Rig section of the Electronic Checklist on the Building site. Link above. While it seems buried, it is where it should be on the menu list.

This build will be standard for rigs produced in the Delta MYC shop. Even Vern can handle this one.

There is a shortcut listed for those of you that like to spend money.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby yachtie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:10 pm

What about just buying one pre-made?

Easily available at low cost - check here http://www.sailsetc.com/fitmast.htm#

Check item 26 - 3 lengths available.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi Chris,

The vang Rick is showing off is the latest version of a new style "Compression" vang which means it is spring loaded. It holds the boom in position until you are close hauled. As you sheet in and the main boom nears centerline, the vang compresses and allows for main leach control that is not possible with a fixed/ridged vang.

I know you guys commonly use "sheet posts" down there so a compression vang may not work as well with your set up. It also seems to work best with an RMG 280DL and a "Z" Spiral drum rather than an ARM winch. The RMG/Z Drum combination with this type of vang gives the skipper very fine control of the leach shape of the main.

I built my own a year ago or so along with Dave Ramos and we had good results. I have made a few more but this one makes for an easy to build, low cost solution.

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby RMDJBD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Chuck

Do not want to sound stupid but how do you fasten the ball to the boom with any strenght.

Bob Dudinsky
R.M.D.MARINE
RMDJBD

Postby yachtie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Code: Select all
I know you guys commonly use "sheet posts" down there so a compression vang may not work as well with your set up

Cheers Chuck - hear where you come from with that. [:p]

For those that aren't knowing of this setup, with a main sheet post we do not get the leech tensioning when hauling in hard. The winch literally only winds the boom in and out with minimal tensioning of the leech unlike the deck exit setup does. We are but simple folk down here. [:D]

I don't know of any who the spiral drum either - as I said - we are but simple folk.[8D]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
yachtie

Postby john richmond » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:30 am

Hi all, I looked at the Building site on how to build the vang, I have a comment on the size of the rod, a #5 thread major diameter is .125" and the #6 thread major diameter is .138", I have threaded 1/8" rod 6-32 and the threads are sloppy, I think a #4 knitting needle would be a better choice, it is .1377", good aluminum, anodized, I have been using them for years for boat parts.
John #316

john
john richmond

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 am

Hi Bob,

Actually, having a pivot on the boom helps when the boom twist's off. I guess there are a couple of ways to fasten it. One would be to through bolt it. If you want a cleaner look, you can make a wood sleeve that will slide down to this point on the boom and screw into that. This option may be harder to do as a retro fit simply becuase it might be tough to slide a close tollerance sleeve into an already assembled boom. New construction would be the easist for this choice.

Chris, I know you guys sail in bigger breeze down there that we typically have around here. I guess we see our B rigs as much as you do your A's. What set ups do you use?

Hope this helps...

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby yachtie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Actually we probably see our C as much as you do your B - remember our C = US Storm, Kiwi B = US C.

In the last 12 months I wold guess my B rig was used at it's top end more than the A.

Locally where I am the most common "breeze" is about 10-15knots at the pond which is 20+ on the sea about 1km (1/2 mile for you imperialists) away!!!

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
yachtie

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Chris,

Do you use arm winches or drum winches. With that kind of breeze, the winch must be pretty strong.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby yachtie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:43 am

99% down here use RMG 280's with standard drum.

A couple have Whirlwinds and there is 1 or 2 old Hitec's as well.

Between my 3 12's I have RMG 280's in all.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
yachtie

Postby Merv49 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rick West</i>

http://www.ec12.info/Vang%20Build.htm
A solid spring compression vang build has been added to the Sail Rig section of the Electronic Checklist on the Building site. Link above. While it seems buried, it is where it should be on the menu list.

This build will be standard for rigs produced in the Delta MYC shop. Even Vern can handle this one.

There is a shortcut listed for those of you that like to spend money.

...94 [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

A word to the wise about ordering parts from McMaster Carr. Take it from me you don't want to order the parts as listed in this construction article. Not thinking, I ordered the parts and failed to notice the length. I had in mind that the 1/4" aluminum tube was 6 inches long and the same for the 1/8 inch rod. That's not the case at all. In my haste I ordered the parts not stopping to read the print....fine or otherwise and now I have six feet of both the 1/4 tube and 1/8 rod at a whopping shipping cost of about 50.00 for the two great big tubes that arrived on my doorstep with one part each inside. McMaster doesn't compute shipping charges as you order. That comes later and I knew this but didn't think I was ordering 6ft of material. Lesson learned!

If anyone wants enough of either material to build this vang let me know and I wil send you the appropriate amount. My email address is fancmanuever@aol.com

Donations would be appreciated for the material and shipping. I have enough to make 12 vangs in the 1/8th rod and 24 vangs in the 1/4 tube. lol
Merv49

Postby greerdr » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Chuck,
Can you take a pic and post it.If not I'll do so on Rick West's boat at our Valentine's regatta 21 Feb.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby MichaelJ2K » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 am

Vern,

Maybe you could make a few and sell them to your friends. That would certainly cover your purchase and shipping costs plus a couple extra to put back into your boat.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Return to Sails & Rigs