Floppy Spectra line for sheets

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Floppy Spectra line for sheets

Postby s vernon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:45 pm

Bass Pro stopped selling the good 80# Spectra a few years ago. I asked Chad's discussion group a while back where I could buy and how I could identify floppy Spectra. The answer was Hang em High and Spectra2000.

The build site says "Hang em High" but does not steer you to the good stuff.

I received it in the mail today. White with a blue tracer. Looks good. Looks good and floppy.

The build site also says Spiderwire from the Tackle Place for sheets. (I am not going to take the time to find the exact name.) They sell approx 80# Spiderwire for about 1/3 the price of Hang em High's Spectra2000.

Any comments on the suitability of (approx) 80# Spiderwire for sheets? I am all set for a few years, but other people might wonder. Any comments on Spectra 2000? Is it good? Strong? Does not wear and break for a few years?

Scott
s vernon

Postby Rick West » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:50 pm

The link for Hang Em High on the Building site in the Ordering Sheet is still good and has been my supply for years. This is found in the Electronic Checklist section.

There are a lot of other line out there but I have stayed with that which has served me well. SpiderWire was found to fray more easily here and not used any longer where slide movement is needed.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi Scott,

The spectra I use is made by Cortland. It is white with a dark tracer. Can't tell if it is blue or black. They offer it in 30lb test and 80lb test. I have used it on other boats and most recently on my 12 to set up my B rig. I like it becuase it is very slick and has better abrasion resistance than others I have used. It slides nicely around corners and in very light air will not prevent the sails from going out. I think it is the same thing you are talking about. I get it from my local tackle shop and the pricing is pretty reasonable. The 30lb test was 5.00 for 50yards.

What I have seen of "spider wire" is that it will "spiral" and as you say, does not have nearly the abrasion resistance of the one above.

Good luck,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Return to Sails & Rigs