Carbon Fiber rods and tubes

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Carbon Fiber rods and tubes

Postby bigfoot55 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 am

So CF is not allowed in hull, deck support or deck.

Are cf spreader components or jenny strut components, mast crane, vang, rudder servo connections or any other components allowed? If some are and some are not, which ones are?
Thanks
Tom P
bigfoot55

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 pm

I did not see any statement that said CF was not legal to use as deck support structure.

the Hull must be fiberglass
the deck must be made of the legal materials
the mast and booms must be alum or wood.
Doug Wotring

Postby Rick West » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 am

Tom, there are no restrictions where you question. It is not a new thing but it has been found that if you use CF on the rig, it will be good to carry spares. CF is brittle.

Deck support would be an interesting project if you have time. I have studied it and found that weight reduction was not significant to the amount of time in construction and cost. I considered building the frame out of the boat in a jig using a peg board and then installing it in the hull.

Adrian Olson has done a similar thing for the Soling 50. His crafting is to make parts that snap togther, is very light and quite strong. It is also done in mass at the manufacturer level with hi tech computer guided machines. It is wonderful but the boat costs about as much as an EC12 when you are done with it.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:49 am

Thanks Rick and Doug- for your deck beam reply- just wanted to be sure. Prefer to see the competitive boat kept affordable rather than hi-tech.
Tom
bigfoot55

Return to Sails & Rigs