Mast Triangle

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Mast Triangle

Postby BobR » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Is this something that you make or purchase. I know from reading the EC-12 build site that you can build the dividers but I didn't see anything on the triangle..did I miss it??

Bob
BobR

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:22 pm

Bob, what are you talking about when you say triangle? Are you talking about the jumpers to control the bend at the top of the mast? If so, these are made by each builder or can be purchased from a few parts builders. Try Mike Zellanack.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby BobR » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Sorry Joe, I should have made myself more clear. I am asking about the triangle used to set your mast. The one I have seen is made from a thin wood.

Bob
BobR

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:33 pm

Oh that triangle. Most guys call them sticks or an A-frame. I have a set made out of two old yard sticks. Many have built them out of flat aluminum stock which makes for a much longer lasting tool. Some notch the the bottom end of the sticks to fit over the shroud rack, while others notch them to fit over the gunwales.

I also use a drafting triangle to align the rake of the mast fore and aft to the deck.

I don't know of anyone who sells them.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby PegLeg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:21 am

To get an inexpensive, compact and dual purpose mast centering device (triangle / divider for athwartship centering) just purchase an old fashioned wooden folding carpenter ruler and make the following modifications:

1. notch each end of the wooden fold outs on oposite sides. Notching about 3/8 in deep for half the width retains tip strength against breakage.
2 MAKE SURE that the notches oppose each other so that when fully unfolded and pivioted at the 3 ft mark the notches provide a lip to locate against the deck shear.
3. also make sure that the depth of the notches are as equal as you can make them.
4 unfold the rule and find the 3 ft junction. Then sand or grind away the joined tips to make a point when the legs are spread about 10-->12 inches apart.

To use the device as a centering tool
1 unfold the rule to have equal legs
2 spread the legs to allow the notch to locate on the deck shear (tip on the outside) with the pointy end up.
3 using the point (or fold joint) allign the mast to the center.

Note first allign the mast using only the lowers (uppers not even attached). Then add the uppers and straighten the mast with the boat on its side, sails close hauled. Finally recheck the center with the device and make any necessary minor adjustments.

The advantages of using a folding ruler for mast centering are
1 compact - will fit most back pockets or tool kits
2 simple to make and use
3 handy for taking measurements of competitors boats for comparison to yours.

If anyone wants pics I'd be pleased to send them on individual request.
PegLeg

Return to Sails & Rigs