Traveler's Re-Dux

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Traveler's Re-Dux

Postby PaulP » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:31 pm

In Optimizing the EC12, Well's includes plans on his approach to a traveler and talks about how it helps in windier conditions.

Further comments by others talk about adding a traveler design to their boat.

A number of other designs use a bridle ring to position the mainsheet and this serves as an impromptu traveler - depending how tight you keep the lateral lines allows the point to fall off on the windward side.

Has anyone else tried a traveler on an EC12? Is there value in this or just another adjustment to tinker with

?????

Paul P

I tried this post a few months ago and received only a single response. Looks like 120 people looked at it but no additional comments. Scott, maybe we can wake up the group???
PaulP

Postby yachtie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:20 pm

From observation from down under I assume that alot of you "up over" lot use 3 channels which includes a jib twitcher. I know of only 1 boat down here that does.

Talking about this issue just yesterday at our North vs South regatta my thoughts would be - why not use the 3rd channel as a main twitcher. i.e working like a traveller would on a "big" boat. That way when gusts are on you the main could be opend out much like you do on a "big" boat by dumping the traveller a little.

Just an idea [?]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Rick West » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:13 pm

To clarify, Chris, we have the authority for four channel use. However, the majority use only rudder, sheeting and jib trim. The twitcher is only used by a few and I am no longer one of them.

The Traveler is a manual control and was used experimentall mostly in the 1990s. There is nothing wrong with the idea or use but like many things today regarding such, and like the twitcher, where is the need.

My perspective is that I am better off paying attention to my tactical needs than chasing a fickle wind with problematical results.

Just me...

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:54 pm

Paul,

Out of the 120 people that read your prior post, I bet not one has ever tried an adjustable traveler or bridle so no experiences to talk about there. I had one on my 12 in the '80's. It was made by Vortex Model Engineering and stayed in the centered position most of the time. The same set up worked great on my Vortex 60 but the main and jib are controlled seperately on that boat.

Yachtie,

The only problem is that the class rules in the U.S. prohibit the use of a radio controled traveler. Just sail winch, rudder, jib trim and jib twitcher.

Reichard Kahle
Charleston, SC
kahle67

Postby IanHB » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:30 am

I think the benefit of a traveller, would only be with a mainsheet system that used the final tension of the sheet in it`s fully in position to pull down on the mainboom, so as to tension the leech.
In the system most favoured currently, the leech tension is set by the vang and only alters with the geometry of that setup.
So the mainsheet only controls the position of the boom in the horizontal plane.
Consequently a method to have the mainsheet leadout as high as possible up under the boom, seems to be the best for control.
Having the ability to alter the relationship between the main and jib booms is essential, either manually or via a jib trim servo.
There has been a number of systems evolved for making a number of adjustments happen from one channel. (I once had a Canadian built RM that had Backstay, Downhaul, Cunningham, Outhaul and Mainsheet all activated from the one servo.) Bloody clever those Canuks![^]
A traveller for the jib boom may be worth a thought.
The last few millimetres of travel could close the leech up nicely to help pinch out that boat on your weather hip.[}:)]

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby Jim Linville » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:21 pm

I have sailed one of Pete Maxson's AC boats with an adjustable traveler like the one he wrote up in Model Yachting Magazine #138, and it's FABULOUS! I realize that they're not legal on a 12, but you can bet that one will be on my Wheeler in time for this year's nationals. It does everything a traveler is supposed to do, it's easy to rig, and (believe me) you don't forget to re-set it when you tack. --Jim Linville
Jim Linville

Return to Sails & Rigs