How to attach main sail to round mast

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

How to attach main sail to round mast

Postby hallcp » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:30 am

Hello. I'm revamping an old boat with a homemade round aluminum mast. I was about to re-attach the sail using either loops of string around the mast passing through the sail, or running a single string up in a 6-foot spiral passing through the sail at 5" intervals.

But is this legal? I've read the EC12 rules but I don't understand them. This would seem to fall under the heading of "loops attached to a jackline". But a local sailor tells me it doesn't.

And if that's not legal, what do you think of drilling holes in the mast for tiny cotter pins? That would seem preferable to trying to glue tiny tubes up and down the mast.

Thanks!
hallcp

Postby s vernon » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:06 pm

If it is not legal per the precise wording of the rule you ought to still be able to get a favorable ruling from the class secretary. It certainly is in the spirit of the rule. The purpose of the rule is to make sure the mainsail is always positioned in the middle (aft side) of the mast and cotter pins certainly do that. You are still gluing metal to metal, but at least you have some holes in the mast to work with.

Then a jackline on the luff and it seems like you should be legal.

I tried epoxying swages to the aft side of a round aluminum EC12 mast and one or two broke loose. I think there is only one (very competitive) person who has his boat set up with a round mast - keel stepped - and he (Gerhard) seems to have it figured out.

Scott
s vernon

Postby kahle67 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:02 am

No, that is not legal. Loops allow the main to rotate and, as rule 15.3 states, the sail must be centered on the aft centerline of the mast. With a round tube for a mast without a slot, you will probably have to rig a jackline.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby s vernon » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:59 am

I should have said - loops definitely not legal. Cotter pins with a jackline hopefully legal because they do keep the luff on the aft centerline of the mast. My mistake was giving one answer to 2 questions. But then Reichard also gave one answer to 2 questions.

Scott
s vernon

Postby hallcp » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:54 am

Would I use wire or string to run down the seam of the sail through the cotter pin eyes or glued tubes? I'm thinking wire would make more sense.

I'm also puzzled by the terms jackline and boltrope. Can someone enlighten me? I thought the jackline was a line outside the sail, fixed to the mast and the boltrope was a line that ran around inside the edge of the sail. But what I've read is ambiguous on this.

Thanks!
hallcp

Postby s vernon » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Boltrope is a rope that is attached to the leading edge (luff) of the sail and keeps the sail in the mast slot. Not generally used on an EC12, of course. Jackline on an EC12 is the line that runs inside the luff pocket.

I would use single strand wire. Seems like the cotter pins could chafe the line - even more-so than with a conventional (slotted mast) setup. Cotter pins have less surface area bearing against the line/wire. I would tie Spectra line to the lower end of the wire so I could tie it off with the wire taut.

Scott
s vernon

Postby Gene Rosson » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:41 pm

Bolt rope/Jackline: The distinction between these two items is that a bolt rope is sewn permanently into the luff of the sail. Models do not generaly use that method. One function of the rope is to slide inside a mast luff groove, thus holding the sail in place. The over riding purpose of the bolt rope is to reinforce the luff of the sail. The rope will be there even when using external sail track with slides. Slides will be attached to the sail, usually through a series of grommets. In big boat sails,the rope is held in a stretched condition while the sail is sewn to the rope. Only the sail maker knows how much to stretch the rope as it is a function of the stretchiness of the sail fabric. Only models that use some type of woven fabric, for the sail, might use a bolt rope. Woven fabric is rarely used on models except where scale appearance,or authenticity is the criteria.

A jack line is a horse of a different color. It usually runs down the luff of the sail, inside the luff tabling. That is the same location as the bolt rope. No doubt that is why there may be confusion about nomenclature. The jack line is not sewn in place and its' function is only to provide a way to secure the sail to the mast. The down side of the jack line method is that the luff tabling must be cut away at intervals to allow the jack line to be seized. In your case by the eyes of the cotter pins.

If budget will allow it, I would urge you to use a mast section with a built in groove. A section of Goldspar, for example, is priced at about $25. The round version is a little bit more. See the web site section for suppiers.

Best of luck with your restoration.
Gene Rosson

Return to Sails & Rigs