Jib swivel

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib swivel

Postby Dave Post » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:23 pm

I just got done building muy first 12 and have been working
on rigging it. I am having a problem with the jib swivel line
bowsie won't stay tight when i tension the backtay.
I have tried different types of lines and size bowsies but it allways seems to slip.My question is if I have my jib boom at 2"
above the deck and trimmed perpidicular to the deck does the swivel need to be adjustable? Or could I make it a fixed connection?

Thanks in advance for input.
Dave
Dave Post

Postby Rick West » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:40 am

Dave,
The jib swivel adjustment is for rake of the mast and minor adjustments to balance.

While it is true that most set the mast perpendicular the center of effort (CE) can be moved with rake. Likewise, the jib swivel attachment to the rack can be changed fore and aft independent to the mast position in the step. I think of these adjustments as 1/2 positions to that of moving the mast and jib a full hole together.

I have not seen problems with a bowsie for these adjustments. Maybe a heavier line would help. At exhaustion you can use a jam cleat where raps of line jam under the cleat to hold fast.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kahle67 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Dave,

What you really need to do is rig another purchase into your adjustment system. Just behind your fairlead for your jib swivel line, drill a hole for a small self tapping screw. Install a small closed clevis hook (from a tackle shop) or a ring or something similar to use as a turning point. Now lead your swivel line up through the fairlead, through the two forward holes in your bowsie, around your jibstay attachment fitting, back around your aft turning point and dead end it on your aft bowsie hole. This should be enough to do the job and if not you can add another loop around.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Return to Sails & Rigs