Arrow Shafts

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Arrow Shafts

Postby Matthew Houghton » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:20 pm

For those of you who prefer to use arrow shafts for your booms...

What shafts do you use for the outside shaft and which ones do you use to sleave them?

Matt Houghton
Peconic Boatworks
Matthew Houghton

Postby ivorcwalton » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:35 pm

There are several combinations that will work. It's mostly a matter of what you can find. I use a 2419 which has a fairly thick wall and is nice and stiff. I find that using this for the main boom doesn't require any more stiffness. I add a 2114 to stiffen about 2/3 of the jib boom because it is taking more load. Are you familiar with the numbering code? The first two numbers are the outside diameter in 64ths and the second two numbers are the wall thickness in thousandths.
ivorcwalton

Re: Arrow Shafts

Postby s vernon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm

I got an email from Eders concerning sale items and any time I see 19 as the wall thickness, I have to try to mate that up with some other arrow shaft for sleeving and think about buying some. So 2514 outside and 2219 inside. It is an easy fit.

Eders online sells plain arrow shafts by the dozen. You will have a pretty big investment if you buy a dozen of each of these, but maybe you can talk friends into taking some off your hands or maybe you can use them all over the course of time.

http://www.eders.com/products/easton-xx ... spine.html
http://www.eders.com/products/easton-su ... spine.html

These booms will be pretty stiff (but less stiff than a reworked mast section) and weigh about 38 grams sleeved. The only real benefit I can see versus a mast section is less work as the mast section is slightly cheaper if you can make 3 booms per mast and maybe similar weight or just a few grams heavier.

I have not been able to find 2419 and 2519 shafts. It might be that they are no longer being made.
Scott
s vernon

Return to Sails & Rigs