jib trim ?

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

jib trim ?

Postby Doug Wotring » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:05 am

Lately I have been having an issue with the Luff of my Jib, Luffing? (fluttering while passing through head to wind slowly)....does not happen in faster tacks.

Any ideas?
Doug Wotring

Postby bodacious » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:23 pm

If you are talking about your luff and it is fluttering.... then that would tell me that you have too much sag in your headstay or luffwire!! Try tightening up the backstay a bit! Just enough to remove the sag!....DB[^]
bodacious

Postby greerdr » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:34 pm

Assure that your mast is 90' (right angle) to the deck prior to these adustments.THEN tune forestay & backstay.Remember that you need a bit (usually marked on the headsails head) of sag to sail well to weathewr.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby PegLeg » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:33 pm

Doug
Consider how fast you are tacking and whether or not the flutter (luffing) is not just the result of having time to "flutter" because of the time available to do so. You can bet your sweet balast that the jib luffs every time it passes head to wind. You just may not recognize it as such in the "speed tack".

Also consider that "fast tacking" usually results in either using too much rudder and over shooting your desired heading or making a quick counter turn to stop the inertia. Both these rudder actions will slow you down.

Best would be to ignore the sail luffing when making a turn and concentrate on letting the boat round up and fall off in a smooth contiuous arc. This minimizes the rudder drag (water) which is a lot more than the sail luffing drag(air). It also leaves you about 2 boat lengths further up wind than a "quickie" does.
[}:)]
PegLeg

Return to Sails & Rigs