Sailing without Jumpers

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Sailing without Jumpers

Postby kermwood » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:07 pm

Follwing on from a thread started by Boatie Can anybody out there who is NOT using Jumpers tell me how they get on.l know the reason for them but l have seen several large class boats here in the UK without them and they seem to have no problems.
Woody
kermwood

Postby bodacious » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:51 pm

I decided to go "Jumperless" on my new "B" rig to allow the top to "bend off" in extreme gusts. It's first test was at a regatta with 20 - 25 knot winds and the rig worked very well! I have no idea how it would work on an "A" rig.... but I'm sure it would have it's moments. DB
bodacious

Postby kahle67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 am

"l have seen several large class boats here in the UK without them and they seem to have no problems."
Woody
[/quote]

Are these "large class boats" fractional rigged? The 12's attach the jib lower on the mast than most other boats. There is a lot of leverage created there to get the jib stay tension right and of course we can not use carbon spars.

Reichard

Reichard
kahle67

Postby kermwood » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:23 pm

Not all of them no Reichard.but on the revamped NZ Web site there is a photo of a boat that is a 12 called "COLD CHISEL"(click on class libary and there is a desktop photo to enlarge for fine detail) and try as l might l cannot see the any jumpers on it. perhaps some of our friends from downunder could comment on this subject.
Woody
kermwood

Postby kahle67 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm

It really comes down to what your sail is designed for. If your mainsail luff is cut for a straight mast you will have a rough time without jumpers as you start to tighten the backstay. If you design a little more round in the luff to match your typical amount of bend, you should be fine. Most that I know around here sail with a straight mast. The mainsail relaxes easier when sheeted out in light air with a straight rig as opposed to a bent mast.

RK
kahle67

Postby darryl pender » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kermwood</i>

Not all of them no Reichard.but on the revamped NZ Web site there is a photo of a boat that is a 12 called "COLD CHISEL"(click on class libary and there is a desktop photo to enlarge for fine detail) and try as l might l cannot see the any jumpers on it. perhaps some of our friends from downunder could comment on this subject.
Woody
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

hi there from new zealand
there are a couple using jumpers but i havent found any need for them, as said i think its all how you like the look/feel of your rig for me i like soft top..
ec12 79
darryl pender

Postby yachtie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Woody

Jumpers are a tricky "shall I or shan't I" thing. On my old boat I don't have them but on my new one I do. The newer boat has a much more flexible mast section and without jumpers I found the top of the rig was a pain in the butt to try and control and keep looking good.
Cold Chisel does have them - they are just extremely hard to see in the pictures.[}:)]

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby Philip Whitley » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:44 am

Hi All,

Cold Chisel has jumpers, I will take a pic next time I am out sailing and put up on the website http://www.ec12.co.nz They are hard to see because they are tiny. I would not go with out them, I would find it hard to control the mid to top section of the mainsail without them.
As we all know halfway between the top and bottom of the jumper is the forestay. The forestay wants to pull the top the mast forward, the back stay is pulling it back. Therefore the distance from the top of the mast to the lowers is pulling its self inside out. The jumpers stop this problem dead in its tracks and allow for the back stay and fore stay to be held firmer. It is interesting to note that what appeared to be back wind in the top half of the main was in fact the mast pulsing between mainsail presure and that of the jib. I am incline to agree with a few that a little side flex of the mast is a good thing, jumpers wont effect this if you narrow down the spread to 65degrees. They will stop the forestay effect without influencing the sideway effect.

Regards Phil
Philip Whitley

Postby kermwood » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input from downunder its all helful info and food for thought for the future.
l must admit l prefer to sail with out the jumpers.
Just as a matter of interest,l posted this string in july l guess you must all be coming out of hibernation for your summer! enjoy[8D]
Woody
kermwood

Return to Sails & Rigs