spreader length

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

spreader length

Postby kermwood » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:54 am

Am l right in thinking that if the speaders are too long they put unwanted bend in mast and if they are too short they will not give support needed ?
So is there any rule of thumb how long the spreaders should be bearing in mind location and angle ?
Woody
kermwood

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:09 pm

it's on the plans and in the book
Doug Wotring

Postby kermwood » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:51 am

Thank you for your help and information [:(]
Its good to know we are all doing it by the book and not thinking for ourselves.
Woody
kermwood

Postby Ralph Merkle » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:21 am

Kermwood I've been going thru the same "hair pulling" as you trying to resolve conflicting "build" info . No , there is no spreader dimensional info anywhere on Rineharts sketch sheet . The "12 manual" on page 64 gives 8" - 10" as "typical" and page 81K ass'y info puts the over all dimension (including mast thickness and end fittings) in the ball park of the 8 to 10 inches . There has to be some rational for a particular length selection but no explanation is to be found anywhere that I have looked . Jumper strut lengths display the same problem . The 12 manual page 64A has THREE DIFFERENT lengths . I've become convinced that much of the build must be either based on the "TLAR" (That Looks About Right) theory or that the best combination of lengths is a closely guarded secret only to be discovered with experimentation . With all the "expertice" out there someone must have a valid explanation , I sure haven't found it locally . Ralph
Ralph Merkle

Postby Rick West » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:31 am

The spreader should not be a stress point for you guys. "TLAR" is likely what it is. I have not heard of any needed length. I do not have mine here at the moment to give you a measurement but it is about 3/4 inch inside the gunwale on either side.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:17 pm

mine are 4"...not sure where I read that measurment but I recall looking for it and finding it
Doug Wotring

Postby jrflorida » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:19 pm

Just to keep things interesting, my spreaders are 2 3/4 on each side. I used some formulas that Lester Gilbert has on his web site in England, and it seems to me that I never sailed on a boat with spreaders that were as long as most of the rigs seem to have. I also bend them up so the angle of intersection is equal on either side of the spreader to the shroud. Of course I also have other rig "anomalies" (I use a 9/16 round groovy mast with lower shroud locations) but I find if the skipper is paying attention my boat goes pretty well. If the skipper is asleep at the switch, the boat gets real reluctant to perform to the maximum and sulks a lot.
jrflorida

Postby greerdr » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:47 pm

I agree with John (who ran a great regatta this week-end)that thumbs have a lot more to do with what the boat does; BUT the Natl. champion happens to have 4" spreaders which terminate 1/2" inboard of the chainplates,3/4" inboard of the gunwale.
I am not good enough yet to do it by myself Vs "by the book".My J-24 has swept back spreaders but I am sure I would poke holes in my sails with this arrangement.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby jrflorida » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:00 pm

I am afraid that Reichard could sail as fast with his spreaders any length or tied behind his back. There is a rumor that he "has wind, will travel". By the way, my spreaders are not swept back they are tilted up.
jrflorida

Return to Sails & Rigs