Jib Boom Length

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib Boom Length

Postby kermwood » Sun May 22, 2005 3:10 pm

I have just started to make a new set of rigs and looking at the photos of boats on several sites l notice there seems to be a habit of leaving the jib boom a lot longer then necessary.
Is there any reson for this that l may have missed not withstanding the fact that several of these booms seem to extend beyond the bow thus breaking the class rules.
Woody
kermwood

Postby s vernon » Sun May 22, 2005 6:03 pm

One interpretation of the class rules is that since it states that the boom must be aluminum or wood and that the boom cannot extend forward of the bow and the thing on the end sticking out past the bow is lead, then the (aluminum) boom does not extend forward of the bow. The lead which is not considered to be part of the boom extends forward of the bow.

See what I am saying? If the lead was considered to be part of the boom then the lead could not be lead. There is nothing in the rules that says the lead counterweight cannot extend forward of the bow. Not just semantics. That is what it does and does not say in the rules.

They hinted at this in Optimizing or maybe it was the Manual.

Scott
s vernon

Postby philair » Mon May 23, 2005 1:47 pm

OK all you sea lawyers, the 2005 proposed rules address this:

"9.3 Jib booms, including counter weights, shall not extend beyond the bow."

As a matter of interpretation, I would argue that the present rules imply that the boom can consist of more than one part, the counterweight being one such part as are the fittings attached to the boom, and that the boom in its entirety cannot extend past the bow.

Either way, it will soon be moot.
philair

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue May 24, 2005 10:18 am

You beat me to it Phil. I was just going to say the same thing. The boom includes all the parts attached to it.

If you guys are looking at photos that show a boom sticking out past the bow, it might be an illusion. If you are sure it is not an illusion, I would politely remind the skipper of the rule.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Wed May 25, 2005 6:20 pm

Whew! you guys worked it out. I am going back to my room...[:)]

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Sails & Rigs