Masthead Crane

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Masthead Crane

Postby Ralph Merkle » Mon May 02, 2005 11:11 am

Now , most skippers are probably beginning to think that I'm just too "picky" but I thought the object of this class was to have all boats as evenly matched as possible . Bob Well's manual , on the cover and on page 81K shows the crane extending 1 3/16ths inches aft of the mast's trailing edge . I've seen cranes longer than that . What does the rule book say about this or do we really care ?
Ralph Merkle

Postby kahle67 » Mon May 02, 2005 11:58 am

Ralph,

The EC-12 manual and the Rinehart drawings on Rick West's site are just guidelines to help newcomers build a competetive boat. None of the measurments that you speak of are controlled. They are just suggested locations and dimensions given by some who have built many boats. This is what they have found to work best. Do you have a copy of the rules? They are simple and quite clear on what is allowed and what is not. The EC-12 is a loose one design with the governing rules controlling performance factors only (Hull shape, waterline length, building materials, sail plan, etc.). It is the perfect class for the tinkering builder and this is one of the reasons the EC-12 is as popular as it is.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby Ralph Merkle » Mon May 02, 2005 1:40 pm

Reichard No , I do not have a rule book on the 12 nor have I ever seen one . Who is the keeper of the rule book ? I had talked to Rick West long ago as to what was legal and/or illegal as regards rudder construction and only then did I find out that the rudder surface area was tightly controlled . This little bit of valuable info is not to be found in any documentation that I had at the time or have now . Thanks for your input . I just wanted to do it right the first time . Sailboats are not my primary hobby , R/C airplanes are first which is why it has taken so long for me to get on the water . I'm now on a crash (don't say crash) program to get my boat finished . Ralph Merkle 1673
Ralph Merkle

Postby Ralph Merkle » Mon May 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Reichard Found the rule book on this site . Thanks anyhow . Congratulations on your Atlanta win !! Ralph Merkle 1673
Ralph Merkle

Return to Sails & Rigs