Jib trim radio

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib trim radio

Postby kermwood » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:26 pm

Following on from Larrys thread.l have set up my 12 to use a 3 channel 40mg set up which allows me to use a jib trim.But if l am to sail outside of the uk my 40 mg set gets to stay at home.
So l then have to use a 27mg set up which allows me to sail my 12 in the uk and across the oceans.The only 3 channel 27mg set ups l can find have a steering wheel and steering wheels belong on cars not boats.
My question is (getting there at last) unless l buy another set which is legal whereever l am sailing is there any point in fitting a jib trim if l will only be using it for pleasure sailing,and not when l am sailing in hand to hand combat on foreign ponds
(ie the USA and the like !)maybe someone outthere has a answer l have not thought of.
Woody
kermwood

Postby IanHB » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:08 am

[:p]Hi Woody, If you are serious about sailing your EC12 outside the UK then you may have to bite the bullet and invest in a radio that will allow you to change frequency bands,
ie; 27, 29, 35, 36, 40, 72, 75 etc.
These radios have a module in the back of the transmitter that can be removed and replaced by another of a different band.
You must have a seperate reciever for each band, along with the crystals to match the TX with the RX.
In your case choose two bands, to allow use in UK/Europe and USA.[:o)][:p]

I understand that there are about to be released some new technology sets which don`t have crystals but are tuned in digitally?
There are some other forum sites that have been discussing these.
If you would like a link let me know. [:D]

DO IT NOW, Before it`s to late
IanHB

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 am

Digital is indeed on the way, and it will mean an end to freq problems as we know them. That means as many guys can sail at once as you can fit on the pond. Regattas need not be limited by freq congestion, and will then be limited by the number of skippers the sponsoring club can handle. [:o)]
Larry Ludwig

Postby Capt. Flak » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:01 am

I am very excited about the digital revolution on the horizon. But don't expect everyone to run out and buy them all at once. It will make a lot of sence for anyone who is in the market for a new radio to go digital, but I fear it will be years before we see them throughout the fleet.

But like cell phones, they will one day be everywhere. Any wagers on when we see a regatta with every boat using a digital radio?

Even with an all digital fleet, there is only so many boats you can sail at one time simply because of the chaos. "I CAN'T SEE MY BOAT!" [:0] The real answer to the problem is having qualifying regattas for Nationals.

But back to the digital radios, these will be just like our cell phones and they simply pick up an availble channel when you turn them on, correct? And if that is the case, does that mean we need to have a cellular tower near our lakes?

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Doug Wotring » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:50 am

I think you would only need a cell tower if you wanted to skipper your boat on the pond in the next state....or the one on the other side of the next state......and so forth.
Doug Wotring

Postby PegLeg » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:50 pm

Back to the original question's premise of going abroad to sail an EC 12 for pleasure and not to play "bash 'em".

The simple answer is that you must have a radio frequency that meets erither the standards of the destination country or an international freq. The other simple answer is that so long as you don't mind a bit of helm (weather or lee)you should be able to sail "For fun" by simple sail adjustments to achieve some balance.

But, Just who is kidding who? Going for a pleasure sail? Hah!! Well maybe if there are no other boats of any description any where about. Put 2 boats in proximity and you have what is called a race.

Another alternmative to lugging the load about a strange countryside would be to e-mail ahead to other skippers in the far distant land and try to borrow a boat. I know there are fleets here in the US southeat that would share a boat in return for meeting a new friend.
Shucks, we certainly would even try to arrange a trace or two "just for fun of course"

Pete
PegLeg

Return to Sails & Rigs