Mast and Jib Positioning

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Mast and Jib Positioning

Postby Propa » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:48 pm

I find that many of the EC-12's have multiple positions for the mounting of the main and jib. I realize there are a number of factors related to the handling and maximizing of performance but is there a baseline that one can use for a new boat? Sure anyone can mount anywhere .... mast fully aft and jib fully forward, mast fully forward and jib fully aft, mast 3 slots forward and jib 3 slots back, etcetera, etcetera.

However, can anyone recommend the basic rule of thumb for positioning the mast and jib on the deck of the EC-12? Is there a rule of thumb for the slot between the main and jib?

How about a "rule of thumb" for mast rake? When should one rake aft or forward? How much? What characteristics should one look for if the rake is too great versus "on-the money"?

Is there anyone still making the wooden bolt rope style mast and booms?

"Rookie"
Propa

Postby yachtie » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:26 pm

Hi from Down Under

There are many positions as you say for Jib and/or Main. Within the Ec12 Manual there are differing "optimum" positions dependent on manufacturer/skippers preference.
I have found that once you find a nicely balanced point for your individual boat/rig the mast gets pretty well "cemented" to that position. This position does change with wind strenghts, cut of sails, or position of ballasts so many skippers have a range of deck marks to assist the rig postion.

Likewise the rake/bend of mast can change things dramatically, ie amount of twist in main.

For "bolt rope" masts - there are a number available, round groovy from Bantock in UK - available at GBMYC site and oval shape from various sources.

Maybe the US guys can better direct you.
Good Luck

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Return to Sails & Rigs