Wind indicator

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Wind indicator

Postby William Wing » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:24 pm

I'm looking for suggestions on a wind indicator. I have a Red V-tail 4.5 inch, and it is mighty hard to see. What do you use? Thanks from a new boat owner.
William Wing

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:29 am

I use the windvane that Mike Zellanack makes. They are perfectly balanced and are visible from a good distance. I did however make one small change. I added a telltail to the end of it. In the very light air a rigid windvane is not much good, but the little extra tail hanging off the end helps you see the slightest breeze.

Mike also sells the telltails.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Greg Vasileff » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:47 pm

Oh goody, my first post here.

I use feathers. I've been using them for a few years now and I have found nothing near as good. Members of my club have now started having me make some for them or are making them themselves. It's very easy. These feathers are outstanding in supper light to just about nil air.
I've been using store bought dyed feathers from Walmart, in their craft department. Make sure you check each bag to see the reds and oranges are good and big, about 6".
With the abundance of Turkeys around here these days, I have started using their dropped tail feathers for big windvanes. Some are great and some are N/G. If they are good, I trim them up, maybe add a touch of paint to the tip, and press them in a book after I bend and snap them into a straight shape.

I use a small brass rod and some aluminum tube to make the pivot. It has not failed yet. I also guarantee that these will be the lightest windvanes you will ever find.

Here is a photo of one of my large turkey feathers. It’s about 11â€
Greg Vasileff

Postby lee krusienski » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:58 am

My experience is that a windvane is a good thing but from the distances that we sail our boats it is very difficult to see.
I don't use one because of that reason and because I concentrate on my jib luff and feel whether or not my boat is on the wind. To try to see a windvane at that distance and use it is to lose one's concentration on keeping the boat going at it's fastest possible speed and at it's best possible angle to the wind.
lee krusienski

Postby Greg Vasileff » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:57 am

This really depends on what kind of winds you are sailing in. Sailing in steady winds that rare remaining pretty consistent throughout races is where the wind indicator can be left off the boat, though I keep it as it helps me. Sailing in what it seems that we sail in most of the time, flucky light and puffy winds, a wind indicator will keep me out in front of a boat without one most of the time. In these conditions I really depend on my wind indicator. I can usually gain over a skipper who is sailing by his sails and tell tails.
But that’s just me maybe. It’s all what you have become accustom to I guess. I won’t sail without one, big boat or small.

greg V
http://ghmyc.org/
Greg Vasileff

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:45 am

When the wind is up, I rarely look at my windvane. Like you I focus on the sails. It is when the wind is light and fluky that I rely on the windvane.

When your drifting along and you see that subtle movement in the vane, you can trim your sails and leave the fleet behind.

Either that, or I just watch to see what Kahle, Bootensek, and West are doing and try to do the same.[:D]

Joe

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Return to Sails & Rigs