Jib Counterbalance

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib Counterbalance

Postby kermwood » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:41 am

Jib Trim or Counterbalance
The way l understand it is most people in the US sail with a jib trim set up rather than a jib counterbalance weight.
So l would like to know if

(1) The jib trim method adds more weight then just a counterbalance

(2)If Power consumed with jib trim is much higher

(3) If jib trim is better or just a "fashion"

Thanks Woody
kermwood

Postby Rick West » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi Woody,
Jib trim and counterbalancing are two different things.

The jib swivel location on the boom is a fulcrum point but not to perfect a balance so lead in added within the boom to reach a point close to neutrality so the jib will swing very easily side to side. Hence, when you turn downwind and the jib beomes unloaded, the slightest air movement will cause the jib to swing out and be held by that air. The wing on wing effect becomes so more easily through counterbalancing and is quite effective in light air.

The use of jib trim is a functional part of tuning while underway through the use of the sheet line. To weather, the balance of the sail plan can be altered to allow the boat to head up more into the wind, can alter the slot in changing air pressures and allow you to pinch, for just a short while, when needed. On the run it can allow dumping pressure on the jib in a gust but mainly to trim in the jib for more a efficent use when wing on wing.

The use of jib trim does increase power consumption with an extra servo and with larger torque values to hold the jib sheet at the arm right angles to the fairlead. This power need has not been a problem except in the wiring of the on board gear. (Read Phantom of the Bilge)

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby kermwood » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:13 pm

Thanks for that Rick a great help at understanding what jib trim was for,in my part of the world the wind does that for you!

But your answer on the Jib counterbalance raises
another in my mind ( l know questions questions questions)
We have been discussing the question of trim and waterline elsewhere
on site and l was wondering what effect the jib counterweight has on these.
Ie when the jib boom swings out on port or starboard would this sudden added weight have any effect on trim and waterline

Woody
kermwood

Postby Rick West » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:30 pm

Woody,
It is not noted here in my sailing. I do not do research but that of observational reactions. Like in the trim angle discussion, we are talking about minute differences in the normal range of air. At the ends of air above that it can make a difference. My sailing covers up to 15 events a year at two-day events across the nations. I use that data and observations to form that which I build and then report on the site. What was started in 2000 has only been modified by higher tech, also noted. In the end what I write about is what I see and what I recommend.

When we think of being of all things, that is good. Few, if any, have achieved it. It requires luck at the time. That is part of the 20% luck statement by 11 time champion Kelly Martin. Having read reports, written and aural, he was not in that percentile.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to Sails & Rigs