mast hole jig

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

mast hole jig

Postby rs vernon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:43 pm

mast hole jig 015 crop 13.jpg
mast hole jig 015 crop 13.jpg (85.42 KiB) Viewed 7144 times
I have come up with a way for me to drill spreader and stay holes in masts. RMD gooseneck fittings slid onto the mast. Drill press does what it does. Seems to be more accurate than usual and quick.

For stay holes I wish I could just dimple the mast, but not to be. I will use a hand drill to go thru the drill press holes at an angle.

It is necessary to hold the mast and put upward torque on it in order to keep the mast from rotating downward when the holes are being drilled. This action puts the holes in the desired location rather than slightly forward and at a slightly wrong angle.

I made a simple jig for holding the mast and drilling holes for old school brass tube spreaders as well and it works good too, but there is probably no real interest in it other than myself.

Scott
rs vernon

Re: mast hole jig

Postby ohiolyons » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 am

I believe if you mix and match you can even get a Thule setup to work for you. Although assuming your car is gutted since you're doing events you should have plenty of room for wheels in there. There was a thread on here that had every part number for the Yakima parts. Try searching for that or just wait for one to go up for sale.
ohiolyons

Return to Sails & Rigs