Forestay to Jib Boom Swivel Length

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Forestay to Jib Boom Swivel Length

Postby JSR » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:47 am

Hey guys, I am sure this has been addressed, and my apologies if it has. I'm putting a new rig on an old EC. It seems the typical distance from the forestay attachment point on the jib boom aft to the boom swivel is 3.5". I was wondering how much ya'll adjust this dimension due to wind strength changes. In playing with it, I have found that the dynamics of the whole rig can be altered by changing this distance: mast rake, headstay tension, and jib leech tension among them. Thanks for your thoughts.
See you on the water.
JSR

Re: Forestay to Jib Boom Swivel Length

Postby breakwater » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:55 pm

This measurement is 4.25" on my boat, on the A-Rig, and I haven't goofed with it in years. Seems to be OK.

Sometimes the Jib is a bit difficult to pop-out and go wing on wing, which is what you will gain by moving the fitting forward.
Theoretically you want to move the fitting forward the heavier the air gets, but in my case I'm looking to use a different rig instead of making that adjustment.... and the corresponding related adjustments you referenced.

It seems the EC-12 Rig in particular is one that you can make a really micro adjustment and end up with macro results, typically much for the worse... I'm feeling like it's best to find the sweet spot on each rig, Leave them there, and then if you make a change of any significance - It's time to change rigs.
12-1975
M-2333 M-2377 M-3741 M-3933
breakwater

Re: Forestay to Jib Boom Swivel Length

Postby JSR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks Break, I'll try moving mine back a little and setting everything up around that.
JSR

Return to Sails & Rigs