Jib boom weight for B rig ?

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Jib boom weight for B rig ?

Postby kjkavaney » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Newbie here...do most people use a weight on the jib boom with a B rig ??
I have read the comments about lead weight in the jib boom but it was not specific to B rig jib boom..
any wisdom appreciate..
kevin
kjkavaney

Re: Jib boom weight for B rig ?

Postby Capt. Flak » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:30 pm

I did use a weight on the end of the B-rig boom in the past, but it was pointed out to me that it really is not needed due to the higher winds. Plus you can cut the boom off at the stay and have less sticking out in front to catch on other boats in tight corners. I have not had a counter weight on my B-rig in at least 9 years.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby bigfoot55 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 am

Same with the topping lift, but there are times when the wind does not cooperate with our choice of rig. Be interesting for others to chime in with their experience. I have one with and an old one without(took it off)
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 am

I do have a counterweight on my B rig jib boom for the reasons Tom suggests. Sometimes the lulls between B rig quality breeze can be quite long. Lol

The other reason is I have a 10mm fiberglass jib boom which uses a sails etc fitting on the FWD end. The wire head stay(with a loop) passes through a hole in the top of the fitting and the jib counterweight rod is then inserted from the front which holds the head stay in place.
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I concur with setting the boom up with counterweight just like the other rigs. The club boom is the same on all my rigs as the B jib foot in nearly the same. IMO weight and entanglement is not an issue any more than for the other rigs.
...94 [8D]
Pacifica By The Sea
Rick West

Return to Sails & Rigs