NEW BUILDER

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

NEW BUILDER

Postby Alec Barnes » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:21 am

I have a G.R.P. hull scaled down from the 12 mt Americas Cup challenger: SCEPTRE
It is 58 inches long and carries 26 lbs. ballast
I would like to know some dimensions from the EC12:-
Mast height
Mast position on hull
All up weight
Sail area - jib and main
Mast type e.g. round or groovy
Is your ballast removable
What type of fitting is the mast carried in

Appreciate a lot of questions but if anyone can help would be most really pleased
[8D] Alec
Alec Barnes

Postby Skip Quinn » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:10 pm

Hi. If you go to the EC12 web site you find all that under building the EC 12. Good luck. Skip
PS EC12.com

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby s vernon » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:38 pm

Alec,

There is a link to a "plan" in PDF on the main ec12.com page. That will show you exactly how an EC12 is set up/rigged.

You can see the size of the main and jib by following the "rules" link on the main ec12.com page.

Sounds like a great boat. Our boat is a tank test model from 1962 whereas yours is from 1958. There is only an inch difference in length, ours being 59 inches long, but yours is quite a bit heavier. Ours carries a maximum of 19 lbs of lead and weighs about 24.5 lbs with that ballast.

http://www.ec12.com/History.htm

The building site(s) that Skip told you about should help a lot in construction of your boat.

We had a club member a few years ago who raced a boat that was about the same length as the EC12, but was about 26 lbs. He used an EC12 suit of sails. His boat was a few inches deeper in draft. It was a 6 meter and the EC12 rig drove the boat very well. He was somewhat competitive in light wind and easily was faster when the wind came up. I just mention this in case you are considering using an EC12 rig. Seems like it might work well for you.

Scott
s vernon

Return to Sails & Rigs