No mo lower lowers?

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Postby Doug Wotring » Sat May 14, 2005 8:35 pm

My Understanding is that if it is not directly addrerssed in the rules you can do whatever
Doug Wotring

Postby Jim Linville » Sun May 15, 2005 7:13 am

I spoke with Rick yesterday afternoon. He says it's not legal to use CF inside a mast. We can use only aluminum and/or wood inside the mast. However, mast accessories such as jumper struts and the masthead crane CAN be made of carbon fiber. I accept El Capitan's interpretation, but don't really understand the difference... doesn't the mast stub serve the same purpose as a jumper strut?

Good question about using carbon for the deck support structure. I'll ask. My intent IS to use carbon for a lot of what holds my deck up and on; i.e., the side strakes, and most of the deck-support ribs. CF weighs about the same as heavy balsa, but is a lot stronger and stiffer. My plan is to cut balsa bulkheads and use them as one-off forms for CF replacements. I guess I better ask first... [;)]

--Jim Linville, #985
Jim Linville

Postby Doug Wotring » Sun May 15, 2005 7:47 am

Hi Jim,

All my Deck beams etc are CF.

It is heavier than Beven glassed balsa....even with the lightening holes I put everwhere. Maybe an ounce.......bright side....it is 20 times stronger and will never rot
Doug Wotring

Postby Jim Linville » Mon May 16, 2005 7:29 am

Doug: What's Beven glassed balsa? --Jim
Jim Linville

Postby Doug Wotring » Mon May 16, 2005 4:51 pm

Beven, is an exaple of my poor typing skills.

even glassed balsa is lighter than the CF beams I made....
Doug Wotring

Previous

Return to Sails & Rigs