Sails etc sails

All things above deck

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Sails etc sails

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Trying to set sails on a Goldspar style teardrop mast. Seems to need way to much backstay tension to match mast bend to the sail. Is a round Groovy mast needed? Anyone succeeded?
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Re: Sails etc sails

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Tom,

What sail maker is it? Some sail makers use more luff curve than others and a sail with too much luff curve is difficult to tune on a Goldspar Rig as you have discovered. A groovy mast will allow more bend but it is often a detriment in light air. If you will still want to try it out, I have a Groovy mast, double spreader rig set up for an EC12 if your interested.

Let me know,

Chuck
Chuck
USA 84 "SECRET"
Chuck Luscomb

Re: Sails etc sails

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks Chuck-The sails are mylar, I believe 2.0 wt, from Sails, etc. Won the silent auction for them at last NCR. Set them up on a goldspar (no lower lowers)that had John B tri-spi 40 main, using same jib/ offset dimension and goes well. It likes a straight mast.
In order to make the main luff look decent, had to bend the mast by taking off the jenny struts, and cranking down on the backstay a lot. Rough measure of the mast with a tape measure as a straight edge indicated a bend of over 1/4 inch. But the jib stay was really tight. Boat actually sailed pretty good. It was light and fluky air, a few harder gusts.
I will try to reposition/loosen the lower shrouds, not sure what else to try. Hope we will have some decent light air again this week to try out and experiment with. Then may be interested.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Return to Sails & Rigs